TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Montana Question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:30 pm 
125cc

I have forgotten which type of file to open on the Montana 600 when you want to see your gpx file and you want the map to keep refreshing and moving with you. I keep opening it on the wrong one where you need to keep scrolling with your finger to find the track.

Any help here, please?

Post subject: Re: Montana Question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:25 am 
650 cc Monster

I am a little rusty on the 600 but i dont belive this is a file type issue - tracks vs routes

I guess you can see the track but the map isnt scrolling with you

This I believe is simply finding the right setting on the device which is normally "track up"

Try touching the compass logo on the screen before going into the display menu.

Hopefully a regular 600 user will advise you shortly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:21 am 
200 cc

I always use tracks for navigating when trailriding. They are in the track manager file.
I have the GPS set with track up and the screen locked in landscape.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:16 pm 
300 cc

Big problems with these devices for all 3 users today. Been out with it for the first time in a couple of years. It was not my device, as the owner has yet to get to grips with it....so go to track manager, open the track you want, press go and all is good. Until you get going. And then, better not touch the screen or you get pinmarkers and the screen freezes. Don't try to rescale or you will have no idea where you are while it takes about 30 seconds to refresh. And you might end up missing the precise point on the screen and end up with another pinmarker. So the screen won't move with your ride.

Screen refresh speed is also an absolute joke for the money they charge.

Basecamp is too complicated. Viewranger shits on it.

I was out with two other riders today that have Garmin devices. Neither of them really were au fait with using them.

One rider today could not even get the GB Map to zone in on where we were.

I don't blame any rider for being ignorant with Garmin. I sold mine because everything seemed to be unintuitive and I always felt that if I got somewhere with it it was like pot luck.. The bloody brightness 'setting' for the screen is not even in settings. I think you have to do something like press the power button twice. Fxcking bollox.

Garmin's days are surely numbered. Absolute crap. The only thing they have as a strength is robustness and they are water proof.

I wish I could say Sat Map was a good alternative but I see people struggling to see the info on their screens.

Are there any tough mobiles that do the job?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:37 pm 
200 cc

Love my Montana, works brilliantly. Only issue is the refresh when zooming sometimes. New Montana 610 much faster.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:25 pm 
80 cc

richgilb wrote:
Big problems with these devices for all 3 users today. Been out with it for the first time in a couple of years. It was not my device, as the owner has yet to get to grips with it....so go to track manager, open the track you want, press go and all is good. Until you get going. And then, better not touch the screen or you get pinmarkers and the screen freezes. Don't try to rescale or you will have no idea where you are while it takes about 30 seconds to refresh. And you might end up missing the precise point on the screen and end up with another pinmarker. So the screen won't move with your ride.

Screen refresh speed is also an absolute joke for the money they charge.

Basecamp is too complicated. Viewranger shits on it.

I was out with two other riders today that have Garmin devices. Neither of them really were au fait with using them.

One rider today could not even get the GB Map to zone in on where we were.

I don't blame any rider for being ignorant with Garmin. I sold mine because everything seemed to be unintuitive and I always felt that if I got somewhere with it it was like pot luck.. The bloody brightness 'setting' for the screen is not even in settings. I think you have to do something like press the power button twice. Fxcking bollox.

Garmin's days are surely numbered. Absolute crap. The only thing they have as a strength is robustness and they are water proof.

I wish I could say Sat Map was a good alternative but I see people struggling to see the info on their screens.

Are there any tough mobiles that do the job?

Say it as it is Rich, but you are right really struggling to get to grips with my Garmin. Have used Tom Tom pro rider for many years anyone now if it's possible to transfer Garmin files into Tom Tom that would let you follow a route previously recorded.

Great ride out today thanks Rich / Ady

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:04 pm 
650 cc Monster

Alternatively get a Monterra and run Viewrager

You can have your cake and eat it

Nothing beats the screen display outside of a Garmin device

Nothing beats the s/w and usabilty inside of Viewranger

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:53 pm 
125cc

On a Montana there should not be a problem with the map scrolling so long as there is sufficient satellite coverage. I find that the map scrolls best when map speed is set to fast. Setup/map/map speed/fast. The closer you are zoomed in, the quicker the map scrolls.

The icon for your vehicle will remain in a position about 1/4 of the way up the screen and 1/2 way across the screen. The way that the map scrolls depends on wether you select track up, north up or automotive mode. Setup/map/orientation/select map orientation.

If you have to scroll with your finger to find the track, it means that you are not on the track.

I set routing/lock on road/no.

I set routing/activity/direct routing.

I use a powered motorcycle mount with display/backlight timeout/stays on and battery save/off with screen o full brightness.

I plot tracks useing Basecamp and the Discoverer 50k mapping which is on Basecamp only when the satnav is connected to the laptop.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:54 am 
300 cc

force4fun wrote:
Love my Montana, works brilliantly. Only issue is the refresh when zooming sometimes. New Montana 610 much faster.

I had the 610 and we had a 610 with us yesterday too, as it was the same look as mine.

When I went out with someone a couple of years ago and saw how quickly he zoomed in and out on a £30 Samsung Galaxy with viewranger and then I saw how quickly I learnt the software, I sold my Garmin.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:57 am 
300 cc

mario.costasa wrote:
Alternatively get a Monterra and run Viewrager

You can have your cake and eat it

Nothing beats the screen display outside of a Garmin device

Nothing beats the s/w and usabilty inside of Viewranger

Interesting....I will look into this. But if you mean the screen on a Garmin is better than a phone I disagree. Or do you mean something else?

The screen on the Garmin is good enough so if the Monterra ran viewranger quickly I would not mind the reduced graphic quality that I experienced on my Montana 610.

Last edited by richgilb on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next