TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Montana Question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:16 pm 
300 cc

The fact that we are reading about training sessions and taking a few months and it being slow because it's on landscape not portrait says it all.

I have never had to have a training session on any of my other electronic devices, I don't see why I should have to persevere for a few months and why would they design something that is slower on landscape than it is portrait - how are you supposed to find out about bizarre stuff like that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:04 am 
125cc

It is not slower on landscape than it is on portrait. Fact.

Have you tried the settings that I suggested in my earlier post? Doesn't sound like it.

If you can't be bothered to learn how to use Basecamp or how to set up your satnav then I'm not surprised that you are struggling. As an earlier poster suggested most problems are due to operator error or inexperience.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:07 am 
300 cc

TomL wrote:
It is not slower on landscape than it is on portrait. Fact.

Have you tried the settings that I suggested in my earlier post? Doesn't sound like it.

If you can't be bothered to learn how to use Basecamp or how to set up your satnav then I'm not surprised that you are struggling. As an earlier poster suggested most problems are due to operator error or inexperience.

Why the snotty comments directed at me?

If you could check what other contributors have written in the thread, in particular regarding portrait vs landscape then perhaps you could retract what you wrote?. Is your advice more credible than Smokinrider or something?

I had a Garmin Montana for 2 years. I spent hours failing to learn Basecamp. Half of what you suggest I did, the other half I am unlikely to get to try because I was only helping another fellow Garmin sufferer try to get some use out of his device on Sunday.

I'm an ex-Garmin user. End of thread for me.

Toodle oo!

Last edited by richgilb on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:13 pm 
125cc

Why would I retract the fact that the screen scroll spead is not effected by being in landscape or portrait?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:15 pm 
80 cc

TomL wrote:
Why would I retract the fact that the screen scroll spead is not effected by being in landscape or portrait?

It does seem from the thread that there is hope for us riders struggling to get to grips with the devise. Agree it is more a problem With us rather than the devise and as my school teacher said on many occasion I must try harder. But still agree with Rich's comments a lot of faf to get from A to B.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:09 pm 
400 cc

I found basecamp a real pain the rrrrrsss.
I use memory map to do all the plotting on,which I find much easier.
On the other hand one of our lads seems to get on well with basecamp.
So far the Montana has been perfect for me.
BUT all of these gadgets have you scratching your head for a while,and just takes a bit of practice and perseverance.
Maybe one day someone will invent the dogs do dars in gps,s for our use, and it will put the Montana to shame.
The Monterra seems to have the edge from what I have heard.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:40 am 
300 cc

GraySWTRF wrote:
I found basecamp a real pain the rrrrrsss.
I use memory map to do all the plotting on,which I find much easier.
On the other hand one of our lads seems to get on well with basecamp.
So far the Montana has been perfect for me.
BUT all of these gadgets have you scratching your head for a while,and just takes a bit of practice and perseverance.
Maybe one day someone will invent the dogs do dars in gps,s for our use, and it will put the Montana to shame.
The Monterra seems to have the edge from what I have heard.

Garmin has already been put to shame in terms of software and operating system by mobile phone companies. If they had made the Monterra with a sim, they might have been back in the game a bit. What's the point in paying for wifi facility when you are out on a trail with it? Why did they choose that instead of sim? Cost I guess. But at £600 rrp and a real world price of £400 to enable the best hardware available that can run Viewranger, they are now completely taking the piss out of their customers. Avoid them on principle.

It's just the hardware where they lead. The rest feels like you are back in the 90s.

For newbies and novices, I would say that Basecamp has a prosumer feel to it, where you need to be on it most of the time to learn it, and then some of the time just to keep fresh with it. And this is not realistic for the amount of times I need it. If you have ever had a meltdown with Photoshop, note that the experience was the same for me. All revved up to do a job and you can't even get the file to load. That kind of experience.

I have had 3 Garmins, going back to 1999. So anyone thinking of telling me again to read the manual etc, don't bother!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:19 am 
300 cc

I might be wrong, and it's just a stab in the dark but I get the impression that you are not a Garmin lover :D :D :D :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:33 am 
300 cc

Base camp can be mastered in no time. There are plenty of online tutorials and dedicated training days (like donnas) available to be booked by groups of interested parties.

I upload rides from Montana to basemap, re name ever them and store them for reference. I also upload them to memory map as well. Plotting routes is maybe a little easier in memory map but all you do is save the gpx to the desk top and fire it over to the garmin in file manager. If you are not IT minded then this sorta thing will always be a bind unless you get trained.

Wifi transfer is great. You meet a mate who has a nice route you wish to try. Fire up the wifi on both devices and copy his route to yours. Simple.

Having the right zoom is key to following a trail. Too zoomed in and screen updates all the time, not enough and you can't see the turns. Remember it's a gps devise not a "sat nav". It ain't gonna be saying turn right in 100 yards you have to look and see where you have to turn. I only ever use trails rather than routes as I find it's easier just following the bread crumbs.

Don't dismiss the advise give or slag off the devise if it's not your preference. The OP wants assistance not negativity or comments like my samsungs better!

Contact Donna at torque racing. She'll arrange a training day for you and after that you should think the garmin is the best thing since sliced bread, just like everyone who knows how to use it properly will tell you.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3