TRF Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Montana Question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:01 am 
300 cc

Martyn49 wrote:
richgilb wrote:
Big problems with these devices for all 3 users today. Been out with it for the first time in a couple of years. It was not my device, as the owner has yet to get to grips with it....so go to track manager, open the track you want, press go and all is good. Until you get going. And then, better not touch the screen or you get pinmarkers and the screen freezes. Don't try to rescale or you will have no idea where you are while it takes about 30 seconds to refresh. And you might end up missing the precise point on the screen and end up with another pinmarker. So the screen won't move with your ride.

Screen refresh speed is also an absolute joke for the money they charge.

Basecamp is too complicated. Viewranger shits on it.

I was out with two other riders today that have Garmin devices. Neither of them really were au fait with using them.

One rider today could not even get the GB Map to zone in on where we were.

I don't blame any rider for being ignorant with Garmin. I sold mine because everything seemed to be unintuitive and I always felt that if I got somewhere with it it was like pot luck.. The bloody brightness 'setting' for the screen is not even in settings. I think you have to do something like press the power button twice. Fxcking bollox.

Garmin's days are surely numbered. Absolute crap. The only thing they have as a strength is robustness and they are water proof.

I wish I could say Sat Map was a good alternative but I see people struggling to see the info on their screens.

Are there any tough mobiles that do the job?

Say it as it is Rich, but you are right really struggling to get to grips with my Garmin. Have used Tom Tom pro rider for many years anyone now if it's possible to transfer Garmin files into Tom Tom that would let you follow a route previously recorded.

Great ride out today thanks Rich / Ady

Ha! Martyn, I struggled with mine for 2 years before flogging it. Unless you play around with it and Basecamp nearly every day it's tough. I found that if I learnt something by the time I needed my Garmin again I had forgotten most of what I needed to know. I was never confident enough to lead rides with it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:04 am 
300 cc

Whilst we are on cake and eating it, can you not run viewranger software on laptops.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:21 am 
300 cc

OK, I looked into the Monterra...and then saw the price.

I'll let you know how long I get on with this: http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_ ... GwodrJoD5A

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:35 am 
200 cc

Martyn49 wrote:
Say it as it is Rich, but you are right really struggling to get to grips with my Garmin. Have used Tom Tom pro rider for many years anyone now if it's possible to transfer Garmin files into Tom Tom that would let you follow a route previously recorded.

If you save your tom tom files as GPX then you should be able to use them with your Garmin.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:40 am 
300 cc

Interesting promo video of this £65 phone in a puddle of water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lbMf6uWNJs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:26 am 
80 cc

Tony Bliar wrote:
Martyn49 wrote:

If you save your tom tom files as GPX then you should be able to use them with your Garmin.

Thanks for comment Tony, but it's the other way round. Looking at recording a route/track on my Garmin hopefully been able to then upload it into my Tom Tom realise it won't define a track prob show on screen riding across a field but hopefully will direct me from one track start to another ( I live in hope) ha ha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:16 pm 
125cc

Thanks for comment Tony, but it's the other way round. Looking at recording a route/track on my Garmin hopefully been able to then upload it into my Tom Tom realise it won't define a track prob show on screen riding across a field but hopefully will direct me from one track start to another ( I live in hope) ha ha[/quote]

Hi,
I also want to use Tom Tom and just found this on you tube.... going to find my old Tom Tom now and try it out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJMpY6vnTOI

www.lvtrf.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:30 pm 
300 cc

Garmin is top of the range. Everything else is a poor copy. Any issues experienced are usually down to operator error or inexperience. Donna from torque racing does training sessions on the Montana and basecamp. If your screens constantly refreshing then it probably not on orientation lock and no doubt is also landscape.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:38 pm 
80 cc

Agreed. Garmin are top of their game. I have an Oregon 600 which I use in the car for sat nav postcode directions. I use it for jogging and of course for trail riding. It,s a learning curve and it takes afew months to start making I work for you. No need to adjusts brightness manually, just keep it on auto. adjust.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:13 pm 
650 cc Monster

I belive the screen display in normal sunlight when outside / outdoors and not in the shade is immensely more readable due to less reflection and better contrast on the Garmin than any phone I have used

I will try and do a test of displyed image on the Garmin monterra vs the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which I believe has the best display on the market and is water resistant.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next