TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newbie to the forum and trail riding
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:00 pm 
80 cc

Hello,

I'm new here having just joined. I live just near Penrith, Cumbria. I've been drawn to the trail riding scene for a while now having done the sports bike route and now at the Adventure bike stage. I have a KTM 1190 adventure (non R) and love just trailing around the minor hardtop roads looking about and covering the miles. While riding the back lanes, I often see tracks disappearing over the hills into the distance and I think to myself, I wonder where that goes? Some are probably a no go but I bet some are accessible to MPV's.

Having looked for a decent 450 EXC for ages, I ended up buying a YZ450f in January this year and road registered it with the intention of having a supermoto come enduro bike. I thought this would be a cheaper route, how wrong I was. I should have stumped up the extra for the 450 EXC. After having ridden the YZ in supermoto trim for a while, I cant help thinking it will be too much of a handful trail riding it, never mind it being too brash. It has a long 1st gear and close ratios after that which I know won't help. The last thing I want to do is give the trail riding scene a bad reputation of being inconsiderate noisy hooligans (the bike is quite loud).

So, my questions are, are there others trail riding a YZ450? How is it?

I've always fancied a 2 stroke and a KTM 300 EXC is the 2 stroke I fancy. Would this be a good trail bike or is always having to mix the fuel a PITA. I believe they're a good bikes and for a 2 stroke, pretty bullet proof.

Thanks for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Newbie to the forum and trail riding
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:07 pm 
650 cc Monster

Welcome from sunny Sussex.
My wife and I holidayed just outside Penrith in June and loved it up there. Very jealous about your riding roads.

Can't help re the bike but I would think your fears are justified.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:09 pm 
80 cc

davidscott wrote:
Welcome from sunny Sussex.
My wife and I holidayed just outside Penrith in June and loved it up there. Very jealous about your riding roads.

Can't help re the bike but I would think your fears are justified.

Thanks David,

It is a wonderful place to live. I used to think it was nothing special but as age gets the better of you, you start to appreciate what you have :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:06 pm 
650 cc Monster

Welcome, you kinda answered your own question re the YZ, I made the same mistake and bought a ktm 450 SX, seemed ok on the road... Terrible o the lanes, as you said , the gearing is all wrong, they don't have weighted flywheels, so are 'stall monkeys' and the suspension is rock hard...I chipped it in a week later and got a 450exc.... Which I love and is perfect....300 2 strokes are the choice of champions, loads of power (if needed) very flexible (grunt) and very light...get her done !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:07 am 
125cc

Hi Nick,

I have owned an 07 exc300 for a couple of years now and can't fault it! Pulls like a train, will do the slow tricky stuff and loads of torque, all the qualities of a four stroke and a fair bit lighter and feels very nimble, unless your buying one of the latest fuel injected exc450's, which I believe are only a couple of kilo's heavier.

If you get one with the 11ltr tank you should run as long as most of the fours before you need to refuel, and it's no hassle to chuck a pre measured amount of oil in your tank and topping up with fuel! Generally fuel stops are an opportunity to eat drink and stuff your face with plenty of calories, so not a splash and dash affair. :lol:

You can also change the power valve spring easily, Green-mellow, Orange -medium, Red-ballistic, so I'm told. You can also improve the running and fuel economy further by re-jetting and fitting the Suzuki250 REJ needle, loads of info on the UK KTM Forum.

Don't regret selling the CRF450x, which I would say was a little like your current bike. Go for it you won't regret it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:30 am 
80 cc

Thanks for the replies. I've spotted a 2011 300exc for sale. It's priced at £3800, 126hrs, new piston 8hrs ago and looks pretty good on the photos. A dealer is selling it for a customer so I have no reason to disbelieve any info given. No warranty given. Does these seem a fair price?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:12 pm 

Hello and welcome from East Sussex

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:14 pm 
125cc

Doesn't sound excessive, given there are some 06 models on ebay for a grand less. I would keep an eye on there and compare prices!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]