TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Personal trackers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:53 am 
125cc

Last wensday evening I fell off my 250crf on a byway between Grendon & strixton 10 east of Northampton very differant to use phone Brocken hip rain & getting to glasses then got very dark.12 hours latter new hip ,took bike to work week over week end , to day found it stolen .!!!may give up!f fun for2years thanks bill . What personal tracker does any one recommend .to tell people exactly wear you are. still climbing in 6 months time hopefully!

Post subject: Re: Personal trackers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:41 pm 
650 cc Monster

Sorry to hear what has happened and hope everything works out OK.

This is a good explanation of why the TRF recommends you go out in small groups.

I think Mario if anybody may be the source of knowledge for personal tracker, though seem to remember reading something in a magazine a year or so ago.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:59 pm 
300 cc

If you are involved in an incident but don't have a phone signal, if you dial 999 (or 112) this has the advantage that it will go via any available network not just the one you are subscribed to, it will also prioritise the call if networks are busy. So if your phone shows no signal, dial it anyway.

The disadvantage is that if it goes via another network, the emergency services can not call you back so you may need to call back to keep them updated from time to time.

The Essex and Hertfordshire Air ambulance has a phone app, that automatically finds your location and calls the emergency services at the push of a single button. I don't think it is restricted to Essex and Herts as the location facility is working fine and i'm currently in Northampton (Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance territory)

Search for EHAAT on the app store.

There are systems like the SPOT tracker that use satellite technology but they are not cheap and require a subscription and from my own experience in Morocco, burn through batteries at an alarming rate!

http://www.nomadracing.co.uk No Byways were harmed in the making of this blog!

2006 KTM 450 Rally
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 Honda CB500X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:30 pm 
650 cc Monster

Never ride alone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:53 pm 
125cc

Thanks for that ! I was in fact whith my 16 year old grandson too young? The police couuld not understand the lat long off his phone ,my son did,! have fast find ranger but must not use if have a phone single! I will look at the spot 2 personal tracker much easer to use in dark no glasses, Brocken hip!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:04 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Hope that you are feeling better and on the mend.

Joel is quite right, best to go out with somebody else or at the very least leave your route with somebody who will check on your return arrival time just as one should when going walking in the mountains or sailing a boat at sea.

A good service to know about and to set up on your mobile phone, I have it on mine, is how to send an emergency SMS from your phone. Please visit this website for further details;

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/index.php

Another possibility is to use the ViewRanger 'buddy' system which lets you locate another person's phone. Never used it my self so perhaps somebody who has/does might explain in more detail.

Take a look at this post for a tracker to be fitted to your vehicle;

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21201&hilit=tracker

Hope these links and ideas help.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:11 am 
125cc

Thanks Hugh, All looks good very good!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:19 pm 
400 cc

Couldn't you send your Grandson off on his bike to get help for you ?

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:09 pm 
125cc

He went to end of laid in very dark found a house but they said they could one help! 1/2 a mile.might go back there after my recovery & have a chat ! The ambulance man said it would have helped if we had name of farm.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:45 pm 
300 cc

Joel is talking out of his bum. (and that me being very polite). so don't go agreeing with his tripe.

personally, like thousands of others ive ridden all over the uk and Europe and Africa on my own, off road, off piste, in the desert, in sand storms and horrendous weather, like snow and ice. ive never ever given it a second thought. you just deal with it.
I think the term is man up.

do you only go out on a road bike with company in case you fall off and end up in a ditch. well? maybe you only drive your car with a passenger incase you leave the road and end up in a field. hmm?? of course you don't!!! your best bet is to all sell your bikes and take up stamp collecting!!

I seriously don't believe the rubbish some people spout in the name of advise!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next