TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where to start? Which bike?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:41 pm 
650 cc Monster

Apart from your last comment mudeevee (which is my personal opinion ;) ) I agree with what you said.
There is a lot of thought on the KTM Forum that 2Ts on the road isn't great other than for short hops. That may not apply to the out of price range Beta as it seems more trail orientated.

My Yamaha was only 5 speed and that really became wearing on the road, whereas the 6 speed KTM is far more rideable, to the point of my considering getting a spare set of wheels with dual sport tyres for extra fun. Although barely legal knobbies int he wet can be very entertaining.

We have lots of road miles down here but elsewhere, it's minimal, so not so necessary to worry about road speed.

As for the ebay 250, is that a little bit pricey for a 2006? Worth comparing around to see how it matches up first.
I guess it would be an RFS engine so apparently very robust so that goes in it's favour.
Have you got a mate who has a bit of experience (or someone from your new TRF group) who could act as a second pair of eyes?
I couldn't be trusted as I always buy by gut feeling, having researched the bike I'm looking for. That said, that has always worked, it's when I haven't been sure but gone ahead anyway that I've come unstuck.
Don't go so silly as 'don't buy the first one you see' as it's easy enough to find the right one first time but, equally, there are always more than one for sale and buying a dog will waste far more time and money than waiting a couple of weeks for the right one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:10 pm 
200 cc

Percy619 wrote:
Just a quick update, I've got my eye on a ktm 250 exc f on eBay,it's a 2006 and it's going for £2800. Anyone advise me on what to look out for should I decide to go and have a look?

Mmmmm 2800 is top top money for a 2006. Is it a dealer?
For that money I'd be looking for a private sale, 2009 (black tank) or even a 2010 (if you are very lucky).

For a private purchase, it's always good to take someone with you (especially if you trust their 'not even with a barge pole' advice. As well as taking all the normal precautions.

Good luck! Don't rush in :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:16 pm 
650 cc Monster

Yup, pricey is that...2 grand tops I reckon..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:09 pm 
80 cc

Yeah it's from a dealer, I've seen loads of cheaper models but they all tend to be 2008-2009 which a mate of mine told me to steer clear of because of some engine issues, can anyone shine any light on this? There's a couple in my area that are about the £2500 Mark which is financially better it's just this engine problem that puts me off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:36 pm 
125cc

Just coz its from a dealer doesn't mean much..

Get one privately from someone who knows what there talking about.

Ive spoken to many numb nuts when looking for my bike, one that said a piston doesn't need changing to someone that advertised the bike with new parts even though it had be ridden a few time since he fitted them.

You want a bike with new tyres or hardly worn, decent chain and sprockets... the list goes on.

Don't buy a shed just coz you've gone to seen it, like david I was unsure about a bike and it stung me because it wasn't what I wanted ahh you live and learn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:39 pm 
400 cc

Buy private from here

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:53 pm 
80 cc

If the right bike came along I'd happily buy from here, fills you with a bit more confidence when your buying from like minded people.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:06 pm 
400 cc

Bung a wanted advert up then

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:59 pm 
650 cc Monster

Just one note on the CRF250L......

Not a bad choice for a starter bike - cheap as chips and you get what you pay for, depreciation is not bad because they don't cost much to start with. The power is beginner friendly, weight and ground clearance is not. But then, are you going to need ground clearance on a first bike? Suspension will tie you in knots if you start edging above 25mph on the dirt - the bike is likely to reach its limit long before you do, which is a good thing.

Seat height and comfort is awful- especially for anyone over 5' 10", as are the ergo's. Easily fixed with new bars and seat mods.

Can't think of any green roads in the South East that can't be dealt with on a CRF250L, it will even suffice for your first enduro's/H+H/practice days.

Plenty of good used ones out there - try to pick one that's stock, or at the very least retains the OEM exhaust. The aftermarkets add noise but no useful power for a beginner - 10% of hardly any power = hardly any power.

For your first bike, think of something that you will have for a year or so and then sell on to get something refined and beasty.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:17 am 
80 cc

Are the 2009/10 models of the exc any good?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next