TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where to start? Which bike?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:36 am 
650 cc Monster

My 400 is an 09 and they aren't supposed to be as bullet proof as the RFS ones but still good.
I had to have my engine rebuilt after about 230 hours but that was more down to bodged servicing by the original owner or his sevice guy than a problem in itself.

It wouldn't stop me buying another one and the RFS bikes can still be abused and would be older. It's very difficult to know if it's been looked after properly as it's pretty cheap and easy to buff it up and fit new plastics, chain, sprockets or tyres on to sell it.

That's where I go back to my gut feeling - 'if it feels right, it is right' has always worked for me. I bought a JCW Mini that was cheap and not even washed when I went to look at it but it felt ok. i spent a few quid on the odds and sods that you always do, ran it for two years and sold it for £300 less than I paid for it.
The guy who bought it did the same thing - he did the money transfer while I was driving him in it to a suitable test road.

KTMs don't just get bought because everyone else does. They are cracking goood bikes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:07 am 
650 cc Monster

They have shims rather than the old school locknut valve adjustments...but yes, they are all good, not sure if they are in budget though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:15 am 
400 cc

Percy619 wrote:
Are the 2009/10 models of the exc any good?

In my opinion the RFS engine which maybe upto 2007 others will correct me if wrong. As not reallys sure

Never rated the engine after that up to 2011. The new breed is great with EFI.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:29 am 
650 cc Monster

Percy619 wrote:
Just a quick update, I've got my eye on a ktm 250 exc f on eBay,it's a 2006 and it's going for £2800. Anyone advise me on what to look out for should I decide to go and have a look?

I'd give you the same advice for any enduro/trail bike: "Look past the cosmetics"

New graphics and plastics are probably there as an indication of a very tough previous life...they don't do anything for the utility of the machine.

Mechanically: Should start easily from hot and cold, with no obvious leaks or rattle. Put the bike into gear and back into neutral...does the clutch drag?

Cycle parts: Get the wheels in the air by putting the bike on a stand. Check the wheels are round and spin true radially and axially (very important) with no loose spokes. Forks straight, not twisted. No leaks from fork seals or shock. Good damping action when you press down on the suspension (ie springs back slower than it was pushed down). No play in any suspension bearings (including fork bushes, wheel bearings, swinging arm and steering head). If the chain/sprockets are worn (can you pull the chain away from the wheel sprocket?) then budget for new ones. Similarly, are the tyres suitable/worn?

Look at the brake pads and disc rotors.

Now good (bonus) stuff to look for. Some bikes have these as standard, others do not:

Security bolts on the wheels (looks like each wheel has 2 valve stems from a distance....one is a clamp to hold the tyre on the rim. You will need to fit these if they are not present. Some bikes will have tyre mouses (no valve). These are NOT street legal...although bullshitters will tell you otherwise.

Decent handlebars Ally...not steel. Renthal is the best make, beware of a Renthal bar pad concealing a horrible steel handlebar.

Handguards to protect your hands and the clutch & brake levers.

A decent ally 'bash plate' to protect the bottom of the engine

Lastly, make sure the lights (including stoplamp) and indicators, (if fitted) and horn all work.

Ask the owner to show you how to change the oil and clean the airfilter...if he can't do these simple tasks then he hasn't maintained the bike properly.

Check the engine and frame numbers against the V5.

Oh, and very last thing...if it's an Italian-built Husqvarna then don't even bother going to look at it...they are utter rubbish with expensive and unobtainable spares. Spares back-up for most other European bikes is generally very good. Yamaha spares are very expensive, and (true story) I popped into a all-singing, all-dancing fully-franchised Yam dealership and asked for some air-filter oil.

Got a blank look.

Asked again.

"Do you mean two-stoke oil?"

Good Grief!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:48 am 
400 cc

Richard Simpson wrote:
Percy619 wrote:
Just a quick update, I've got my eye on a ktm 250 exc f on eBay,it's a 2006 and it's going for £2800. Anyone advise me on what to look out for should I decide to go and have a look?

I'd give you the same advice for any enduro/trail bike: "Look past the cosmetics"

New graphics and plastics are probably there as an indication of a very tough previous life...they don't do anything for the utility of the machine.

Mechanically: Should start easily from hot and cold, with no obvious leaks or rattle. Put the bike into gear and back into neutral...does the clutch drag?

Cycle parts: Get the wheels in the air by putting the bike on a stand. Check the wheels are round and spin true radially and axially (very important) with no loose spokes. Forks straight, not twisted. No leaks from fork seals or shock. Good damping action when you press down on the suspension (ie springs back slower than it was pushed down). No play in any suspension bearings (including fork bushes, wheel bearings, swinging arm and steering head). If the chain/sprockets are worn (can you pull the chain away from the wheel sprocket?) then budget for new ones. Similarly, are the tyres suitable/worn?

Now good (bonus) stuff to look for. Some bikes have these as standard, others do not:

Security bolts on the wheels (looks like each wheel has 2 valve stems from a distance....one is a clamp to hold the tyre on the rim. You will need to fit these if they are not present. Some bikes will have tyre mouses (no valve). These are NOT street legal...although bullshitters will tell you otherwise.

Decent handlebars Ally...not steel. Renthal is the best make, beware of a Renthal bar pad concealing a horrible steel handlebar.

Lastly, make sure the lights (including stoplamp) and indicators, (if fitted) and horn all work.

Ask the owner to show you how to change the oil and clean the airfilter...if he can't do these simple tasks then he hasn't maintained the bike properly.

Oh, and very last thing...if it's an Italian-built Husqvarna then don't even bother going to look at it...they are utter rubbish with expensive and unobtainable spares. Spares back-up for most other European bikes is generally very good. Yamaha spares are very expensive, and (true story) I popped into a all-singing, all-dancing fully-franchised Yam dealership and asked for some air-filter oil.

Got a blank look.

Asked again.

Good Grief!

All good advice there

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:15 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Try to take somebody along with you to look at and listen to the bike who has more experience and less emotional interest in the purchase :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:31 am 
400 cc

johnnyboxer wrote:
Richard Simpson wrote:
Percy619 wrote:

Got a blank look.

Asked again.

Good Grief!

All good advice there

Very sound. Every time I do any work or paid work I log it into my phone. It helps me with oil changes. Just done one last Saturday reading for the ride with Hugh this weekend. log hours and milage, what what done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:08 am 
80 cc

Just a quick update fellas, bought myself a ktm 400exc, it's beautiful. Took it out yesterday for a run round on some local and easy lanes, I never stopped grinning. :D
Can't wait to get out and about on some propper lanes. Massive thanks for everyone's advice, very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:59 am 
650 cc Monster

Good choice, it's what most people end up with, and they are popular for a reason.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:24 pm 
200 cc

Yep, agree with Richard. Good choice. The KTM 400 did not make the list because we were trying to keep to the 250's. And the 400's are like hens teeth! People who ride them don't want to let em go. So, you did well!
Happy & safe riding.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next