TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Where to start? Which bike?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:36 pm 
80 cc

Hi there, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times before, so please bare with me. I've just recently passed my bike test and have now got the task of finding a bike. I'm 6 2", 13 stone, 39 years old and have a budget of between £2500- £3500. I was leaning towards the ktm market but I'm also thinking of maintenance and running costs. I've zero experience with bikes so any information or advice will be greatly appreciated. Also where would be a good place to start trying to find a bike? I've checked eBay out and was wondering about more alternative reliable services. Can't wait to get a bike so I can get out and about with you all. I'm based in the matlock derbyshire area so look forward to getting out. Thanks in advance. Steve.

Post subject: Re: Where to start? Which bike?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:29 pm 

Good luck with your search, you will get lots of advice and options.

For me start with an older 250 so you are sure its what you want to do.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:40 pm 
80 cc

im probably not the best to give an answer as I thought id give it a go and have a ktm exc 500 arriving in the morning (it was a bargain although getting a 500 wasn't on the cards, I just couldn't say no), my first off road bike... ive always been an all or nothing kinda guy, ill let you know how I get on... wrapping myself round a tree!

Like you im tall... 6ft 5in... but a lot heavier than you are at 18 1/2stone! my other bike is a BMW R1200GSA, I love it, and I bought it purely for doing some touring, its heavy but you can throw it about, I had a KTM 690sm before it which made me smile when I rode it, and also, important in my book, when I looked at it, for a big single even with my rotund body it went like stink and handled awesomely! My BMW doesn't make me smile when I look at it but im proper excited about this KTM arriving in the morning, im smiling now and I haven't even seen it :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:37 pm 
80 cc

Second on the old 250. If you want to progress its much better to start out on something maybe a little heavier and less 'refined and modern' gives you much better foundations to ride. Kind of like not just hoping on a 1000cc superbike for your first one.

You want something that in a Year or two you'll feel like your using 100% of its potential, you'll feel much happier getting on something bigger or more powerful later on... That said don't go too old and too under powered as you'll probably get bored and buy twice.

If your planning on riding with people also bear in mind what they are riding and where there riding.

Good luck and happy riding

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:09 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings Steve,

The golden answer to this question could earn the respondent a Sainthood :lol:

I too would suggest that you stay to an older type 250cc four stroke until you gain experience and know exactly how you wish to progress. If you are going to ride in the Peak District then a large engine and/or fire breathing enduro bike is definitely the wrong way to go. I ride an 'old' 225 Serow which is far more capable than I, height of the foot pegs is the only down side, for greater distance outings I use a Beta Alp 4.0 350cc which has the old Suzuki engine, the pair cost me less than your projected top bracket.

You will need funds for safety clothing, that alone could set you back a few bob depending upon your choice. Think on that at some stage you are going to drop the bike and that it is going to get scratched :o I know folk who gave up on trail riding their bright new shiny bike because they could not stand to see it dirty :shock:

You need to bear in mind that the bike will need servicing which could get expensive depending upon the marque and if you have to pay for such at a garage. Finding a reliable company can also be difficult so go off local knowledge not shinny showrooms and seat sales talk.

Might I suggest that you keep your money in your back pocket for now and take yourself along to your nearest group to chat with the folks already riding the lanes in your area, one of them might have a 'used' but reliable bike for sale well below your ceiling. Simple uncomplicated engineering is the secret.

All of the groups are listed at;

http://www.trf.org.uk/find-your-regional-group/

Manchester; Derbyshire and South Yorkshire; and High Peak and Potteries are all very active in your area and they will all make you most welcome :D

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:35 pm 
300 cc

There is a KTM 450 for sale on this forum in Matlock
Nev.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:59 pm 
650 cc Monster

Yeah,I got one...it's ace...bulletproof and was two and a half bag....easy to ride,but loads of power when you want it..almost lazy...it hauls my fat ass effortlessly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:21 am 
650 cc Monster

If you are happy with the maintenance costs then a KTM 400 would be OK.
Otherwise listen to Hugh ,
I would also add the DRZ400 probably the "E" variant .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:40 am 
80 cc

Thanks for all the advice, I've got all the safety gear(I think), just need a bike. I really appreciate it, I keep trawling through eBay, I may pop down to leisure trail next week to see if they have owt, if not just to look around. Not fussed about a minter, just something that's reliable and won't result in me pushing it through a river of mud. Once again, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:51 am 
400 cc

Get a jap bike if your maintenance knowledge on bikes is zero

Get a 250 to start with

I'm 6'2 and 17stone and they have adequate power for a learner to offroad

I'd suggest spending £1500 on a bike to see if you like it and the rest of gear

2t or 4t is the next question - a 250 2 stroke will ride rings around a 400-500 cc 4 stroke and be lighter

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next