TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Van recommendations please
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:33 pm 
125cc

Hi

I live in London and currently ride a dual purpose Yamaha WR250R which copes fine with a 30 or 40 mile stint on the A3 to the lanes in Hampshire.

I plan on getting an enduro bike, most likely the WR250F and so I will need a van to transport it to the lanes.

I'd be grateful for recommendations for a van. I don't want a big Transit cluttering up where I live - I'd like to get the smallest possible which you can get TWO bikes in comfortably as I imagine I'd end up sharing the travelling with others in the Group from time to time.

I'm looking for something relatively cheap say up to £1000-£1500, only needs to be basic to get me and the bike where we can ride.

Can you give me recommendations on vans which fit two bikes but are not too huge.

Thanks

Steven

Post subject: Re: Van recommendations please
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:06 pm 
300 cc

Citroen Dispatch,Peugeot Expert,or Fiat Scudo which are all similar vans are about the smallest you are going to get two bikes in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:39 am 
80 cc

swb low roof Transit..tried and tested over decades,cheap parts,massive knowledge base and they drive like cars now..high mileage (motorway work) but in GWO would be the order of the day..ours has 170k,just gone through another mot and you would not believe how well it drives,avoid the lowest powered models as they struggle.. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:54 pm 
80 cc

tonylacey wrote:
Citroen Dispatch,Peugeot Expert,or Fiat Scudo which are all similar vans are about the smallest you are going to get two bikes in.

Do they definitely fit two in? I've got a expert and my xr400 goes in diagonally, not sure I'd fit another same size bike in

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:05 pm 
300 cc

matt_wr wrote:
tonylacey wrote:

Do they definitely fit two in? I've got a expert and my xr400 goes in diagonally, not sure I'd fit another same size bike in

Ive had 2 KTM 450/400 in one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:36 pm 
200 cc

Hi Matt , i have a transit like the above post and am pretty convinced i can get two bikes in no problem ,we will soon see , if not back to the Merc Sprinter,that fits three bikes with a bit of a squeeze . Sorry you cannot make ride out Sunday . PS...the venue for the next meeting has NOT changed..............still at Bay Horse.....cheers Julian E Yorks TRF . :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:45 am 
400 cc

Toyota Hiace

Fab Vans - back to basics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 am 
80 cc

2 bikes in a Transit easy ..we bought our Tranny purely for our bikes,,but of course "friends" use it for removals,etc..speak to people driving what you fancy and ask them if they would recommend their/work van.My son has used enough Renaults to see how bad they are..they only have a big glove box so you can store parts that fall off daily.Mercedes Vito rot badly but are nice to drive and fast.We looked at loads of various makes but we went back to Transit in the end...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:17 pm 
80 cc

Mercedes Vito LWB fits 3x bikes plus gear. Pretty sure a compact Vito would fit 3 but not much length left for gear, 2 should be fine though.Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:54 pm 
300 cc

Vitos come in three sizes...

Compact
Long
Extra Long

The first two are short wheelbase, the latter long wheelbase.

I had a "Long" and there is no problem with the length in fitting a bike, I fitted my Honda CB500X in mine and the rack hangs right off the back, so makes it a lot longer than a trail bike.

Never tried three bikes in mine but i've seen it done in my mates: A KTM 640, Yam TTR 250 and a Kawasaki KLX450R all were shoehorned in complete with camping gear and all the crap to go rallying for the weekend

http://www.nomadracing.co.uk No Byways were harmed in the making of this blog!

2006 KTM 450 Rally
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 Honda CB500X

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next