TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Yamaha WR 125 not starting - looking for a reliable Shop/Mac
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:52 pm 
50 cc

Hi,

I bought a 2013 WR 125 R From Cambridge Motorworks and first ride out, the bike died, called the dealership and they said... the extensive testing they did had run the battery down and to charge it up & it'll be ok, so I put another battery in (From my KTM) [and it's like the bike was a supercharged YZ450] - just kidding

It rode for 30-ish miles and died again, it was clear that the battery wasnt being charged by the bike. So we took it back to Motorworks in Cambridge. it was there for nearly 2 weeks. I called and they said that the Battery was too big and the bike didnt have enough in it to charge a big (very hungry) battery, so they just changed the battery for a smaller one. (which to me doesnt make any sense)... but I requested they ride it past 30 / 40 miles to confirm their theory was right, they claim they did test it over 60 miles.

When collecting it, they claimed all was ok, just battery. Went on a short-ish ride out in Thetford +- 10 miles and then went home. Then next day - the bike woldnt start. I've done a little bit of troubleshooting and I'd noticed that the Regulator under the seat was different.. The one that was there was new and shiny, this one now on the bike is easy a few years old, it became obvious that Motorworks Cambridge hadnt just replaced the battery.

There's no way i'll take a bike back to Motorworks Cambridge even though it has two months warrantee remaining from their "marketed" 3 months warrantee on bikes bought.

so.. hufff
I'm looking for someone / shop / dealer / recomendation of a reliable garage that can take a look at the bike and do what Cambridge Motorworks cannot do. this is what i've tried

The Battery is good
Starter Motor is turning strong
New spark plug
I've connected a LED tester onto the sparkplug and shows some energy, although cant see any sparking off the spark plug.
When switching the bike on, I can hear the fuel injectors/fuel pump priming/switching over.
Tried push starting/Jumping the bike incase it was flooded... & lost a few kilo's :-) (an upside to it)

Happy to start replacing bits of the bike to eliminate but I'm thinking a worshop might have better tools / process of eliminating electrics / Fuel supply issues.

Any recommendations please - I'm in Woodford Green but happy todo whatever it takes to get the MR's bike up n running.

Kyle

Post subject: Re: Yamaha WR 125 not starting - looking for a reliable Shop
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:23 pm 
125cc

I'd suggest your generator has packed up. It's not producing enough juice to fire the plug.

Either that or the timing has slipped on the fly wheel....but not sure if they have a woodruff key or not.

Could also be a faulty coil.

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:06 pm 
650 cc Monster

Have you checked the battery voltage when the bike would not start?
That should tell you if it is a low battery problem.
Charge up battery, start the bike and see what the battery voltage is when the engine is running, I think it should be about 13.8V
If it is only 12v then problem is charging.

If it is a charging problem suggest you take bike back and explain this to them and get them to check it the same way while you are there, and show you that it is charging when you collect the bike.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 pm 
50 cc

The gentlemen at motorworks Cambridge was so reluctant to help the Mrs, they kept her waiting for 45 minutes before assisting her with a push to get the bike up the ramp onto the van. When guys behave like that.. sit on their arse and watch a woman struggle to load a bike purchased a week ago...kills me. there's no way we'd get any further after sales from them, I'm disgusted enough to rather take it elsewhere. a bit of a rough introduction for the Mrs to get into green lanes.

The local Yamaha dealers are booked up until mid August, I'll book it in but keep trying to solve this puzzle in the interim, thanks for the suggestions, i'll give them a bash.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:16 pm 
300 cc

Dunno what they are like these days but 30 years ago I used to frequent Etty and Tylers in Forest Gate, good old traditional bike shop in those days so might be able to help?

http://ettyandtyler.co.uk/

http://www.nomadracing.co.uk No Byways were harmed in the making of this blog!

2006 KTM 450 Rally
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 Honda CB500X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:16 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

I strongly suggest that you contact your local trading standards to seek advice from them. The fault/s is probably why the previous owner sold the bike :idea:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:53 pm 
125cc

take it back and tell them you know what they have been doing with swapping parts and tell them either sort it or you want money back.

and that you want that new battery back!

if they cant fix it your entitled to a refund, get another bike plenty of them around.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:01 am 
400 cc

Get a refund

Life is too short

Inform Cambridge Trading Standards on Monday

Don't mess about

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:12 am 
80 cc

Lots of good advice on here,as above take it back,"not fit for purpose" .
Pity some people think this is acceptable,they take your money quick enough.
Under trading standard rules they have to be allowed to remedy the issue,you gave them that opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:00 pm 
50 cc

So.. An update,

Eventually it appeared to be a fuel pump and coil that both needed replacing...

£400 for fuel pump and £35 for coil, two hours labour! Previously it was the voltage regulator that got replaced.

I'd strongly recommend avoiding motorworks cambridge, spent nearly half the purchase price fixing the yamaha two weeks into a 3 month socalled "guarentee"

Bikes from motorworks cambridge are only under guarentee, providing you dont have a claim to it!

Thanks everyone for good council, we back on the green lanes and loving it!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next