TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Van recommendations please
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:24 pm 
125cc

id rather have a high roof swb transit ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:31 pm 
50 cc

I have a Renault Traffic, it's the same as the Vauxhall & Nissan van you see running around, it took me a long time to find, as my budget was £2K. I did however expect a van this cheap to have high mileage, so took my time and eventually found something that was a runaround for a Van Mechanic. On my way home from collecting it - the alternator cooked itself and smelt really bad , my theory blown out of the water!! but called him up and the next morning he was at my door 07:00, cut the fan belt off, and drove it away, brought it back that night with a new alternator. :-)

my criteria was
no oil leaks, not smoking, full MOT, small enough for a few bikes, small enough to park in a single parking bay.

I didnt realise
Van Insurance is damn expensive when it's the first van (no claims bonus from a car means nothing to Van Insurance)
Van quickly fills up and with adding more and more biking kit, tools, washer etc... over time.

I'm now starting my search again to upgrade to something a littel bit bigger
    higher so that we can get changed standing upright
    longer that all biking bits is stored in one place - get in and go - without thinking what's been left behind.
    5 seats clubcab as the number of bikers in our family has increased, although an infant.. still requires a seat to travel with us.

good luck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:10 pm 
300 cc

On insurance, I found that my old Vito counted as a car for insurance purposes, apparently because it was under 2.7 tonnes GVW.

When I switched to my VW Transporter Kombi which has a 3.0 tonne GVW, my insurers wouldn't offer cover as it does not qualify as a car even though it has side windows and a second row of (removable) seats. So I had to cancel the policy and take out a new commercial vehicle policy for 12 months but at least the Brokers were able to transfer over my NCB.

http://www.nomadracing.co.uk No Byways were harmed in the making of this blog!

2006 KTM 450 Rally
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 Honda CB500X

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2