TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Daytime MOT requirements
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:52 am 
200 cc

johnnyboxer wrote:
micevo wrote:
If youve got V5 then its easy, if not you need to get a certificate of newness from dealer £55 i think
All you need for a MOT with restrictions [day time mot] is
1: horn with continuous tone about £6 ebay
2:number plate
3:E marked tyres
NO lights on bike,

Thats it, just had mine done last month CRF250 now road legal

Even for a no lights mot - you need a red rear reflector

No, you don't. You only need a reflector if you HAVE lights http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_140.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:22 pm 
650 cc Monster

cee-b wrote:
micevo wrote:
If youve got V5 then its easy, if not you need to get a certificate of newness from dealer £55 i think
NO lights on bike,

Spot on. Except that you can have lights fitted as long as they are taped over when presented for test.

The MOT is a full MOT but with an advisory that states 'No lights fitted at time of test' This means that you should not use the vehicle at night or in times of reduced visibility.

I have lights and a rear brake light on My WR250F. I can't get a full MOT as I have no front brake light and no dip/main on the headlight so just tape them over for MOT but use them for daylight running.

And what happens if you are stopped by the police and asked why you don't have main and dip beams working?

The general rule with lights etc is "if they are fitted, they must work'.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:03 pm 
650 cc Monster

Richard Simpson wrote:
cee-b wrote:
micevo wrote:
NO lights on bike,

Spot on. Except that you can have lights fitted as long as they are taped over when presented for test.

The MOT is a full MOT but with an advisory that states 'No lights fitted at time of test' This means that you should not use the vehicle at night or in times of reduced visibility.

I have lights and a rear brake light on My WR250F. I can't get a full MOT as I have no front brake light and no dip/main on the headlight so just tape them over for MOT but use them for daylight running.

And what happens if you are stopped by the police and asked why you don't have main and dip beams working?

The general rule with lights etc is "if they are fitted, they must work'.

That is one of the reason they require any lights to be covered over and why if you go down that route you must not uncover the lights.
The rules also state that the vehicle must not be used at times of poor visibility so again another way of being caught.
Not really worth the hassle and potential risk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:19 pm 
650 cc Monster

All the above is down to your 'comfort level' personally I have never been stopped in 4 years on two different bikes, one without a speedo etc... It also depends where you get your MOT's done...yes,I know it shouldn't ....BUT and this is a BIG BUT... Motocross bikes are SHITE for laning... I had one, a 450sx KTM.... Great on the road, I knew on the first lane I had made a massive mistake.. It was sold within the week....up to you...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:15 pm 
50 cc

Hello all, and a big thank you to those that took the Time to reply. I know it's not ideal to ride an MX on the lanes, it's really just a make do for a long weekend over at the Manx this year, an alternative to tarmac and hundreds of makeshift traffic carming exercises that are implemented during race weeks. I have an age related cert from Honda UK, also a spare set of wheels wih enduro tyres fitted. Only i couldn't quite remember the exact details on the daytime mot requirements. (Horn reflectors ect...) bike should be running very shortly and will let you all know how I get on. Many thanks and best wishes. Ride safe and have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 pm 
200 cc

I have lights and a rear brake light on My WR250F. I can't get a full MOT as I have no front brake light and no dip/main on the headlight so just tape them over for MOT but use them for daylight running.[/quote]

If stopped by the police I am using daylight running lights. There is no requirement for lights during daylight therefore there cannot be a requirement to have main and dip.

The general rule with lights etc is "if they are fitted, they must work'.[/quote]
The 'general rule' that you quote is not a law or a regulation. It may be general rule for MOTs but, as discussed, the lights are not fitted at time of test.

That is one of the reason they require any lights to be covered over and why if you go down that route you must not uncover the lights.
Please quote any regulation to back up this statement

The rules also state that the vehicle must not be used at times of poor visibility so again another way of being caught.
Already covered by my statement that the vehicle should not be used at night or in times of limited visibility

Not really worth the hassle and potential risk.[/quote]
I am not sure that I understand your point. I have a bike with lights that make me visible to other road users; I also have a working brake light. You seem to be saying that the 'potential risk' of being stopped by the police for one of a list of seemingly imaginary offences is greater than the real risk of staying in exactly the same condition that was presented at MOT and riding with no lights at all. What a very strange argument!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:07 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

We can discuss the finer arguments of this light scenario until the cows come home, but may I just ask that you consider your family and the Police officer who has to tell them of your 'accident' because somebody else made a mistake and has wiped you out :idea: Modern roads and traffic conditions are not very supportive of motorcycling :!:

As one who has attended to too many road 'accidents' I speak from experience.

I know, I'm just an old git really :lol: :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:46 am 
400 cc

Hugh Cleary wrote:
Greetings,

We can discuss the finer arguments of this light scenario until the cows come home, but may I just ask that you consider your family and the Police officer who has to tell them of your 'accident' because somebody else made a mistake and has wiped you out :idea: Modern roads and traffic conditions are not very supportive of motorcycling :!:

As one who has attended to too many road 'accidents' I speak from experience.

I know, I'm just an old git really :lol: :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.

Well said Hugh

No point quoting a daylight mot was correct, if someone runs you over

Post subject: Daytime MOT requirements
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:53 am 
400 cc

cee-b wrote:

If stopped by the police I am using daylight running lights. There is no requirement for lights during daylight therefore there cannot be a requirement to have main and dip.

The general rule with lights etc is "if they are fitted, they must work'.[/quote]
The 'general rule' that you quote is not a law or a regulation. It may be general rule for MOTs but, as discussed, the lights are not fitted at time of test.

Please quote any regulation to back up this statement

Already covered by my statement that the vehicle should not be used at night or in times of limited visibility

Not really worth the hassle and potential risk.[/quote]
I am not sure that I understand your point. I have a bike with lights that make me visible to other road users; I also have a working brake light. You seem to be saying that the 'potential risk' of being stopped by the police for one of a list of seemingly imaginary offences is greater than the real risk of staying in exactly the same condition that was presented at MOT and riding with no lights at all. What a very strange argument! [/quote]

Mot regulations to obtain a pass for a vehicle and Construction and Use regulations for road use are 2 different things

For example -
You can pass an mot for a motorcycle without a speedo or with any size number plate as these 2 items are not inspected or tested by a mot tester

However as soon as you go onto a public road you are breaking Construction & Use regulations for motorcycles, by not having a speedo device fitted or having a number plate with incorrectly spaced digits

BTW there is no correct or incorrect size for a number plate, it's the font, digit size and spacing that is a legal requirement

Riding a bike that passes an mot, but doesn't comply with Construction & Use regulations is ok until you get caught or you are involved in a serious or fatal RTC (whether you are at fault or not)

The Police and Courts will go through your bike with a fine tooth comb to prove negligence or culpability - even if it wasn't entirely your own fault that caused the accident

Also your insurance may be invalidated if your bike doesn't meet Construction & Use legality

Why chance it?

Pro Race do kits to make your WR F or CRF X fully road legal with both brake light switches and dipping headlights - is it worth the risk?

No point taping up your lights to pass a daytime mot and then untaping them and using your not legal lights as 'running lights' - because you're falling foul of the law then

Also 'technically' your daytime mot bike, with incorrect lights fitted isn't legal to ride on a green road as it's a public road, so how would TRF defend a member using an illegal bike on a green road, riding a bike that doesn't meet uk Construction & Use requirements

Perhaps a TRF director could answer that ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:28 am 
650 cc Monster

My own personal view is that the best way to make any non EU bike road legal is to part exchange it for a nice KTM EXC, preferrably a two stroke.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next