TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Daytime MOT requirements
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:35 am 
50 cc

HI everyone. Which one of you green Lane experts can advise me on the daytime MOT requirements thats needed to convert an mx bike for a spot of modest green laneing ?
Rear brake operated brake light, type of horn and speedo etc... just want to be a legal and responsible rider.

Post subject: Re: Daytime MOT requirements
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:49 am 

There is a site that sells these kits and not cheap but can't recall the name. Plus what about your exhaust and also registering the bike for plate etc. There are some things that are fine for mot but still conflict with legal for road such as speedo. Best of luck.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:27 pm 
650 cc Monster

I don't know what bike you are converting, but with most of them it ends up being cheaper and easier to change to a bike that's purpose built.

The registration process is a good deal more onerous than getting an MoT certificate. The motorcycle MoT test does not cover every aspect of roadworthiness and conformance.

You will need some paperwork to prove the age and provenance of the bike (at a minimum this will include a 'dating' letter from a recognised authority such as an owner's club or the manufacturer and importer), then go through the registration process, which includes an examination of the vehicle by a government inspector at a government test station (not an MoT tester at a garage) for roadworthiness and conformance.

The process is explained here

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/overview

As I say, the best solution is to get a proper trail/enduro bike: even if road-legal most MX bikes are poor green-laners (flywheel too light, exhaust too noisy, gears too close together, fuel consumption too high, fuel tank too small, plus it it's a two-stroke it won't be happy on a constant part-throttle for long and may well seize up if held at full gas for more than a short time).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:56 pm 
125cc

the requirements can change, so look on the VOSA site for current requirements.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:20 pm 
650 cc Monster

1127kat wrote:
HI everyone. Which one of you green Lane experts can advise me on the daytime MOT requirements thats needed to convert an mx bike for a spot of modest green laneing ?
Rear brake operated brake light, type of horn and speedo etc... just want to be a legal and responsible rider.

This question over MOTs seems to be getting bogged down in the greater complexities of V5 registration which depends on the bike an the class of registration you re submitting it for.

Having done this a few times on CRF230 CRF250X and trials bikes I take it before you start looking at MOT's you have a Certificate of Conformity or at least a dating letter from the manufacturer and that the Vin matches the CoC /Dating Letter and assuming it is an Enduro type bike eg Honda CRF or KTM and not a pit pike or similar (min seat height regulations apply)

Then I take the bike with letter showing the vin to a MOT centre familiar with trail / endure bikes having mentioned that I want a MOT on the Vin number for a unregistered bike and a "no lights fitted at time of test" (Daylight MOT) making sure I have;

A electric horn - see https://www.amazon.co.uk/Worksman-Cycle ... B004IY7IJU if you don't have a wired up 12v horn.

A number plate holder with the rear light removed or at least taped up and a rear reflector on the number plate holder.

NO lights fitted whatsoever.

everything else in good mechanical order eg tyres brakes steering & cables & exhaust.

If I have forgotten anything apologies but your MOT man should tell you before he starts the test.

For the purposes of the MOT - my understanding and experience is you don't need a speedo, brake lights, etc.

If you are around Herts /Beds area - Herts TRF will soon point you in the right direction

Come back and let us know when you have your CoC/DL and MOT and happy to advise on next steps with the DVLA.

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:38 pm 
80 cc

If youve got V5 then its easy, if not you need to get a certificate of newness from dealer £55 i think
All you need for a MOT with restrictions [day time mot] is
1: horn with continuous tone about £6 ebay
2:number plate
3:E marked tyres
NO lights on bike,

Thats it, just had mine done last month CRF250 now road legal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:42 pm 
200 cc

micevo wrote:
If youve got V5 then its easy, if not you need to get a certificate of newness from dealer £55 i think
NO lights on bike,

Spot on. Except that you can have lights fitted as long as they are taped over when presented for test.

The MOT is a full MOT but with an advisory that states 'No lights fitted at time of test' This means that you should not use the vehicle at night or in times of reduced visibility.

I have lights and a rear brake light on My WR250F. I can't get a full MOT as I have no front brake light and no dip/main on the headlight so just tape them over for MOT but use them for daylight running.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:05 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

No lights sounds dangerous to me and limits you to when you can ride, simple rain fall could make use illegal and invites a roadside inspection :o

Only my opinion as some folk do ride without lights but I do n't fancy being tale ended by a truck. I have already been knocked off a road bike which had a halogen headlight that you could weld with - sorry mate did n't see you :twisted:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:46 am 
400 cc

micevo wrote:
NO lights on bike,

Even for a no lights mot - you need a red rear reflector

Post subject: Daytime MOT requirements
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:51 am 
400 cc

Hugh Cleary wrote:
Greetings,

No lights sounds dangerous to me and limits you to when you can ride, simple rain fall could make use illegal and invites a roadside inspection :o

Only my opinion as some folk do ride without lights but I do n't fancy being tale ended by a truck. I have already been knocked off a road bike which had a halogen headlight that you could weld with - sorry mate did n't see you :twisted:

TTFN

Hugh.

I with you Hugh

The roads are far too busy

20 years ago it was ok, now I'm not so sure

I now have indicators refitted to my trail/Enduro bikes as many drivers under 30 have no comprehension of hand signals

I have heard of trail riders rear ended whilst sat on white line, waiting to turn right

Having full lighting makes trail riding safer, whilst driving on the roads and I now think flashing indicators are an important safety feature

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next