TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trail riding in Piedmont Italy
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:34 pm 
80 cc

Has anyone any experience of trail riding in the Piedmont region of NW Italy?

Post subject: Re: Trail riding in Piedmont Italy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:07 am 
125cc

not quite in that region but i have been to umbria, tuscany, in italy with umbria trail tours, wicked time :D

a week in italy in march and five days in the saddle doing an average of 70 odd miles a day - bloody awesome :lol:

spent a few hours riding the ridges of those glorious mountains they have

just seems like it was yesterday but reality kicks in and a few years have passed :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:26 pm 
80 cc

Joncpi wrote:
Has anyone any experience of trail riding in the Piedmont region of NW Italy?

Hi
Just got back from trail riding in the Bardoneccia area - fantastic.

We did a number of trails which including the Colle del Assietta (over 25Km at over 2000metres height), Colle del Finestre, Colle del Sequestre, Jaffrau (2700metres) etc
see here for example http://www.stradadellassietta.it/

The trails around there are mostly former military roads and indeed you do find loads of abandoned forts some from the Napoleanic times etc
By the way most of these trails are for walkers only at the weekends and vehicular traffic is only allowed in the week.

Cheers
Ray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:41 pm 
80 cc

I very recently got back from Piemonte. I took my bike out with me this time and went out exploring on my own. Yes I know not the best maybe, but I was hoping to meet some guys out there. Didn't manage that but possibly because it was pretty warm. About 35C. Anyway I found that most of the tracks around there are what they call "agricultural" roads, private ones are well marked and more often than not have some form of barrier. I found one which is called a "Sentieri" paths in English, but there were obvious signs of vehicular use. They are marked up with a sort of shield with red and yellow diagonal stripes. I found out afterward that these are open to all users. The one local to me had a finger post on it saying Santo Stefano de Belbo is 50Km one way and Saliceto 7Km the other way. So I'm guessing it could be as long as 57Km, but not all of it is on dirt. I rode some of it, about 5 miles, but then lost the signs in the middle of a village that was having a motocross event! So there were loads of vans, bikes and people, and you know what Italian signs are like! not always in the most obvious place shall I say and not always very big,these are about 3" square. I took some photos of the lane, when I work out how I will upload them.
The other problem I came across was several roads were washed out , by that I mean either the road had collapsed down the hill or the hill had collapsed onto the road. Either way making it impassable. They had very very heavy rains in Piemonte in April, May and June. Even main tarmac roads were washed away. I have a dirt road that goes from right outside my house and used to go up to a village Mombacaro on the top of the hill. Now about 2 Km up the road the road has fallen down the hill! The guy who has a vinyard and hazelnut grove up the now has a very long trip down the tarmac road then back up "my" road then up the dirt road to his fields, about 15Km trip. He is not best pleased but the local Commune say they don't have the money to repair it, and wont let him do it as it's a public road.
At the end of my stay this time, I met up with a guy, Italian, who has promised to show me more of the area next time I'm back which should be October.

Jon

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]