TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What's a good bike to learn on
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:03 pm 
50 cc

Hi, I have never rode a bike on or off road, but I'm really interested in getting a dirt bike. So on a sat/sun I can put bike in back of my van and go and have some fun. I'll be riding on my own as I've recently moved and don't know anyone so I want something I can rely on.. any ideas. I'm a lanky 6'3" and weigh around 14 stone. I was thinking of spending around £500 simply incase I don't like it or I smash it or me up. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: What's a good bike to learn on
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:51 pm 
300 cc

It has to be fully road legal Taxed and insured to do what we do so you will be lucky to get something for £500,why not try an experience day to see if its for you? TRF is all over so you will find others to ride with. use the contact groups on main page to find your local group.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:44 pm 
650 cc Monster

As Bill says, try an experience day. Best one out there is probably Ady Smith.
You can ride pretty much the whole range of KTMs to give you an idea if you like it and which bike suits you.
Beware though, it will probably end up with you spending plenty of money on big boys toys and associated gear :D
http://www.adysmith.co.uk/schools/venues-dates/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:10 pm 
200 cc

Just a quick bit of personal advice,please find someone in your area who would be happy to take you out and introduce you to your local green roads network,it is all too easy to take a spill or a simple brakedown ETC.(just saying)!!!!!!. Not shure of your location but if it was East Yorkshire area look at the top of the home page for details of our meet nights... Get out there and enjoy safely and legally. Julian E Yorks TRF group rep. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:28 pm 
50 cc

Thanks to all reply what I am getting is don't go out alone. Open the wallet and go and get my licence. Also I have been reading that as a beginner a 4 stroke would be better than a 2 stroke. I am mechanically minded all be it with cars not bikes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:52 pm 
300 cc

Quote:
Open the wallet and go and get my licence

You cannot Trail ride without one :lol: sounds like you are looking for off road riding such as a track look for pay and play sites on google

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:18 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Welcome, may I suggest as we always do to newcomers that you do not spend any money yet but that you pop along to your local Group and chat with the people there for advice.

Understandably folk get terminology wrong thinking 'off road' is what we do, we don't per se. We ride (or try to ride) unsurfaced roads with fully legal bikes, etc. Yes, we might also with permission ride off road on Private land, such as trials; enduro and what is incorrectly called "road racing" :roll:

As an overview;
Trail riding is about riding a road legal motorcycle around the countryside using back country roads away from main stream traffic using public access routes
Trials is principally off road on private land traversing tree stumps; rocks; rivers; etc; without stopping nor putting your foot down
Enduro is more race competition orientated across undulating private ground and along fire tracks
Road racing is trying to ride fast with a road orientated motorcycle on a private tarmac type surfaced track

The motorcycle for each activity is by the very nature of the environment different although the first three categories do to the untrained eye look the same.

Hope that one day you might join us and enjoy this most interesting of leisure activities.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:43 pm 
125cc

Get yourself a cheap bike, and take it out to a free place where people ride like common, or quarry etc..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:56 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Please do not just ride anywhere, all land is owned by somebody so you must check that you will not be breaking the Law.

Just riding a 'quarry' could get you into deep trouble with the Authorities or land owner, your bike crushed or yourself injured :(

Contact your local Group.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:00 pm 
650 cc Monster

Chris123321 wrote:
Get yourself a cheap bike, and take it out to a free place where people ride like common, or quarry etc..

No no a thousand times no!!
It's probably illegal riding if it's free.
Not the best advice and from what appears to be a non member.

If you are going to do it, do it properly and legally.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next