TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: drz troubles
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:02 am 
125cc

The generator was faulty.....or just a cheap pile of horse manure. I have sent it back and now awaiting a replacement from a more reputable company.

I will install it along with a new night quality lithium ion battery as i think my battery is not in best of shape.

My friend who had similar issues traced his back to a cheap generator aswell.

I will post any findings up in the hope it will help other people in the future.

Regards
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:37 pm 
125cc

I installed a new quality generator. First touch of the button on a fully charged battery and it fired straight up. But....there's always a but, there was a loud ticking noise coming from the top end. So I sort of panicked and switched it off. Investigated the noise and found nothing. Tried to start it again and it will not fire. .....so I'm stumped. The generator must have been the original issue as this new one fired the bike up fine. But now I'm stuck with that noise it made and once again a non starting engine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:26 am 
400 cc

Check the valve clearances.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:54 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

check the oil level, it may have drained down into the sump
check condition of the oil, it may be petrol contaminated
check valve clearance again and using an oil can pump fresh engine oil over all of the moving parts in the area of the valves
drain carburettor and then refill
remove spark plug and spin the engine over to get fresh air through and check for spark
refit spark plug
and try again

TTFN

Hugh

Ps off for a ride now so will check later to see how you got on ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:19 pm 
125cc

Ok a little more of a update. I pulled it all apart....put it back together and it fired straight up. It ran on full choke for 5 mins it revved up fine. Putting 14v to battery. And no weird noises sounded as normal. It then suddenly cut out after taking choke off. It did restart after a fair few cranks....but seemed to struggle. I let it run on idle with a little.choke ....2mins later it cut out again and now its back to just cranking and not firing up. I'm thinking its a fuel problem.....or a intermittent ignition fault. If I can get it to run again and if it cuts out I will pull ht lead and stick a new plug in and see if it sparks. I've also bought a inline ignition tester to see if that can help me narrow it down.
Thank you very much for all your advice its very much appreciated.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:07 pm 
650 cc Monster

If it only runs on 'choke' then I would be looking to investigating the petrol system;

photograph the parts before and as you remove them
remove and drain the tank to inspect the tap filter;
thoroughly clean any debris from the wiring and frame around the carb before removing it
check the flexible supply pipe between tank and carb for partial blockage - I actually found a piece of wood in a pipe once :shock:
inspect the carb to cylinder head sealing, the flexible carb to head rubber and carb to air box pipe and security too
remove the carb for a full strip down and clean, take care to note the position of any tiny washers around the needle - an egg box makes a good safe storage for dismantled parts
inspect for dirt or water in the jet system
inspect the diaphragm very closely for tiny splits
if possible immerse the carb in a sonic cleaner and blow out the airways with carb spray and/or compressed air pressure
while your doing all of this clean and re-oil the air filter element, check the drain and clean it too

as to the electrics;
check the plug cap to plug lead as corrosion can occur around the screw that enters the cable, I bought a new angled waterproof cap off eBay - the green spark plug company - but check the terminal type
as suggested before perhaps fit an NGK iridium option spark plug

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:24 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Do we have a purring DR Easter bunny yet :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:05 pm 
125cc

Afternoon.....from a very wet somerset :lol:

The situation seems to have resolved itself.

It fires up from cold pretty much on the button on choke....as it always did.

I.let it run for 5 or 6 mins on choke....took choke off and it happily sat at idle. Turned it off multiple times and restarted it....although it is a little temperamental starting again from hot it does fire up.

I let it idle as I was tidying out the garage and sort of forgot about it.

I turned around to it spitting coolant and steam out from expansion tank. It was in direct sunlight on a pretty warm day. So I don't think that's a problem as the E has no fan to keep it cool. I just let it idle too long.

So the only issues remain are a little hard to start from warm but will.eventually fire up.

And if you try to blip the throttle too fast it will stall.

I have drain oil and refilled with fresh to correct level including new filter.

I will stick and new plug in and see if that helps

And the carb may need adjusting to try and eliminate the throttle problem with opening too fast and stalling.

It is fine through the rev range and happily sits at idle.

I'm.wondering if it just got itself all bogged up after being pulled apart and sat there for a long time.

I have to refit the rear brake system as I rebuild.it aswell then I will do a gentle test ride.

Thanks
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:53 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings Dan,

Sounds like it might just be running a little on the weak side, perhaps try and move the needle circlip one groove down to raise the needle up thereby enriching the mixture. You could also try adjusting the idle mixture strength by half a turn out.

Recheck all of the valve clearances too when the engine is hot, plus that the decompressor is free.

Sometimes coil output suffers when they get hot.

Heck give it a good run out and let's hope that sorts it out for you :) It could just be a characteristic for your bike and its age :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:44 am 
125cc

hi

its been a while.....(wedding and house purchase getting in the way of bike time :lol: )

its one nightmare to another.

the drz was being a intermittent starter.....its now turned into a non starter full stop.

so I'm at :-

broken flywheel key....so bottom timing spat itself out 180deg

it also has low compression 60psi at cold should be 130psi. :cry:

I'm going to put flywheel timing back to spec with new key etc. and see if that will fire.

a day before it broke its key I had it running and even took it up the road...it had full power and rode fine...but was still a little temperamental starting hot.

must admit its trying my patience now.

cheers
Dan

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next