TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quads in the TRF
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:05 pm 
650 cc Monster

http://www.trf.org.uk/green-roads-for-all-users/

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:29 pm 
650 cc Monster

Just check your temporary TRO's very carefully as many of them can just have two wheeler exemptions.
Our local ones don't necessarily have narrow enough gates or posts for a small quad so checks are important.

The quad that came out with us a couple of years ago was a huge Cagiva 800 (I think) seriously impressive piece of kit and good for towing a WR that was reluctant to start after a light swamping.

Always fancied the KTM quad but can't justify the idea although my wife would love to turn up at the golf club where she works riding one, even if it was only the once.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:02 pm 
400 cc

davidscott wrote:
Just check your temporary TRO's very carefully as many of them can just have two wheeler exemptions.
Our local ones don't necessarily have narrow enough gates or posts for a small quad so checks are important.

The quad that came out with us a couple of years ago was a huge Cagiva 800 (I think) seriously impressive piece of kit and good for towing a WR that was reluctant to start after a light swamping.

Always fancied the KTM quad but can't justify the idea although my wife would love to turn up at the golf club where she works riding one, even if it was only the once.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:19 pm 
300 cc

davidscott wrote:

That really does annoy me though, the legislation is lagging behind the technology. Ridden sensibly, a quad will impart less damage to the surface than a solo yet the TROs are based on wheels not weight!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:29 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Sorry to report that in the Peaks the TROs on Three Shires Head; Cumberland Cottage and Washgate (?) all prohibit Quads as they are considered to be 4X4 :(

I am sure that there must be others too but not off the top of my head.

Again the people legislating do not understand the technology let alone the question/answer :evil:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:50 pm 
650 cc Monster

I suppose it gets difficult to differentiate a quad from other four wheelers without leaving it open to huge interpretation. When is a quad not a quad?
It is much simpler to say two wheels are ok and easier to police.

The aforementioned Cagiva was a massive brute compared to the little nutter quads.

I'm not defending it but I can understand the reasoning, presuming I've guessed right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:53 pm 
650 cc Monster

DS650 wrote:
davidscott wrote:

That really does annoy me though, the legislation is lagging behind the technology. Ridden sensibly, a quad will impart less damage to the surface than a solo yet the TROs are based on wheels not weight!!

The surface impacts between 4x4 and 2wd quads are very different.

2wd quads tend to be competition focused and very noisy.

The TRO legislation doesn't lag behind the technology and is capable of accommodating quads. For example a TRO can be made to ban 4 wheeled vehicles and exempt quadricycles, or narrow 4 wheel vehicles.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:29 pm 
650 cc Monster

:D
It's all very well saying that, but how is your average walker, horse rider, PCSO, copper etc going to interpret that little gem of description?
It's a recipe for tarring everyone with the same brush, sadly, even if it can be argued in court. Who, as an average trail rider, wants that hassle just to prove a legal point. Not many of us I guess.

When you said quadricycle, my sad little brain immediately thought of invalid carriage for some unfathomable reason. Yes, I know about Trampers or whatever they're called.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:15 pm 
80 cc

Good discussion guys.

And DS650, thanks for the offer. I may well be in touch one day ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:18 pm 
650 cc Monster

A bit off-topic I know but...on the west end of the M4 on Saturday, I encountered a quad towing a sheep trailer and with a rather worried looking farm dog on the luggage rack.

Only in Wales!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next