TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: CRF250 L - Any tips on changing coolant?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:14 pm 
80 cc

Grateful for any advice / tips on changing coolant. The manual says;

Quote:
Remove the radiator cap (page 9-4).
Remove the drain bolt [1] and sealing washer [2] on the water pump cover and drain the coolant from the
system.
Install and tighten the drain bolt with a new sealing washer.
Fill the system with the recommended coolant through the filler opening.

Where is the 'filler opening' ? Would it be the 'reserve tank'?

Apart from that - it seems pretty straightforward.

Phil

Post subject: Re: CRF250 L - Any tips on changing coolant?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:23 pm 
125cc

I don't have this bike but.....every bike I've ever owned I just drain it from.appropriate drain point then refill from radiator pressure cap....fill the rads then I squeeze a coolant hose to expel any trapped air...top up with more coolant if required. Start bike and let it run fir a min ...don't let it get too hot. Stop bike let it sit for a min or 2...check coolant level...top up if needed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:59 pm 
80 cc

Thanks - so you fill the radiator - my manual says fill through the 'filler opening' - a bit vague to say the least. If filling from the radiator works for you, then I give it a go.
Cheeers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:12 pm 
650 cc Monster

Does it have a separate expansion tank, or just a direct vent to atmosphere under the rad cap?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:15 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Not too sure but I think that there should be an overflow tank on the opposite side of the bike to the radiator connected to it by a rubberised hose.

A pressure cap is fitted to the radiator, by pressurising the coolant the boiling point is raised so the coolant can run hotter without incurring bubbles, no bubbles means closer contact between coolant and heated surfaces. As coolant in the radiator heats up it expands, once the internal pressure reaches a predetermined point a valve in the radiator cap allows coolant to escape into an overflow catch tank and so lower the internal pressure to the preset operating pressure required. As the engine cools the internal pressure of the sealed coolant drops and creates a partial vacuum, the coolant previously expelled is forced back by atmospheric pressure through a different valve in the radiator cap and so tops up the radiator.

It is normal to partially fill the reservoir tank to a point above an internal pipe; leave the radiator pressure cap off; slowly fill the radiator to its top with coolant; press one of the hoses a few times to try and expel any air in the radiator and/or engine coolant passages; start the engine to allow it to warm the coolant - then - put the pressure cap on the radiator; the engine should be run up to normal temperature at which point you can switch it off and let it cool down; as it does some fluid may flow from the overflow tank into the radiator.

If a catch tank is not fitted then route the overflow pipe to a position where it will not draw in 'dirty' air, especially if the bike is to be ridden in dusty conditions.

Hope this helps.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:49 am 
80 cc

Hi,

Thanks for the replies - yes, there is what Honda call a reserve tank on the opposite side to the radiator - it has UPPER and LOWER level marks and a filler cap. The manual says to keep the coolant level between these two marks and to top up via this tank for maintenance.

Would this procedure be right? :

Drain coolant. Refit drain bolt.
Open radiator pressure cap
Partially fill the reservoir tank to the inner pipe.
Fill radiator to the top,
Squeeze hose to expel air.
Run engine to warm temp with pressure cap off, then stop.
Top up reserve tank to level markers.
Replace cap.
Run engine to normal operating temp. Check coolant level.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:34 am 
650 cc Monster

Yup.... You should get a workshop manual as well, Clymer are the best, Haynes good also...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]