TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Printing Costs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:37 am 
80 cc

Hi,

Why are the printing costs so high in the TRF Shop, and the roller banners too?

KSDigital Print, Signs & Graphics

Post subject: Re: Printing Costs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:14 pm 
80 cc

Obvious, really, BECAUSE they DO NOT use KSDigital Print, Signs & Graphics as suppliers, unfortunately. :P :o :roll:

Martyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:18 pm 
80 cc

Yeah, obviously.

:lol:

But seriously, it's because I am in the print game and have done things for my local groups, that when I looked today I was shocked at the prices.
I'm not looking to take any business from Ellison Printing, but as a paid up member of several years, I was pleased when the Trail magazine went digital, now with the rebrand we can look towards saving costs....

So, my point is - why are the costs so high?

Is it made up of % printing costs and % ellison printing donates to the fighting fund or do all profits go to elisson?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:55 pm 
650 cc Monster

It would require somebody from the Marketing Department to give you the correct answer, but assuming Fred was doing all the printing previously, I would expect, knowing Fred he is not making any more profit from the work he does.

The prices have jumped significantly after we gained a full blown Marketing Department, so either Fred is being asked to print things in small quantities which would justify an increase in his prices or the profits are going elsewhere.

I'm sorry but you will have to guess my answer to this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:04 pm 
80 cc

£108 per 1000 Business cards - from solo press with free delivery £48

£48 for 100 a4 posters on 120gsm paper - from solo press with free delivery on 130gsm gloss £27.60

£79 for 250 letterheads - from solo press with free delivery £36

£114 for roll up banner - from solo press with free delivery £72

So the TRF are better off to use solopress UNLESS the extra profit is being re-injected back into the TRF....

EDIT: to be clear, i'm not associated or affiliated with solo press, nor am I looking to take on the work, I just want any funds raised by local groups to go the cause, not to profit excessively.
Business doesn't exist without profit, but the TRF surely need to keep as much funding as possible to keep the network of lanes open?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:17 pm 
300 cc

Looks like some good savings to be made with solo press.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am 
650 cc Monster

I assume these things are all put out to tender?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:14 am 
650 cc Monster

Kelvyn wrote:
Yeah, obviously.

:lol:

But seriously, it's because I am in the print game and have done things for my local groups, that when I looked today I was shocked at the prices.
I'm not looking to take any business from Ellison Printing, but as a paid up member of several years, I was pleased when the Trail magazine went digital, now with the rebrand we can look towards saving costs....

So, my point is - why are the costs so high?

Is it made up of % printing costs and % ellison printing donates to the fighting fund or do all profits go to elisson?

Hi Kelvyn

The whole printing and marketing materials are is handled by Greg and was launched approx 12 months ago following the Jan(?) 2015 AGM.

He will clarify your queries - but having launched the brand, and brand collateral this ongoing production is now due for review.

As you are based in Durham, are you in the same group as Greg?

Regards

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:35 am 
200 cc

Hi Kelvyn

I will do my best to outline a few of the answers that you are looking for.

Who sets the prices for printed products?
This is set by Ellison Printing, not the TRF

Where does the money go?
The TRF does not receive any of the money made when purchases are made

Why are the costs so high?
The TRF decided not to hold any stock so all the prices reflect a 'print on demand' service. We could bulk produce but that risks having unsold stock which in return is a waste of TRF funds. We decided to outsource all merchandising to Ellison Printing so they deal with the whole order process for all items (order, manufacture, postage) which does incur some overheads (some of the items such as Riding Jerseys must be ordered from another supplier). The standard of all items are pitched at 'higher' rather than 'budget' quality. The prices are set at a cost that makes it commercially viable for Ellison Printing to provide this shop service.

How can I bring the costs down?
Every TRF Regional Group has a bulk order price list. Buying in bulk brings the cost down. It is encouraged that Regional Groups take advantage of this to sell to members at list price and use the difference to boost club funds. They are of course free to pass savings on to members if they wish.

Are we going about this the right way?
We are 100% open to ideas to improve this shop service. As mentioned, the TRF makes no money out of the shop. It is our aim to get merchandise in the hands of members who can then go on to promote the TRF. On a personal level, I would like to see members able to order and pay direct through a website and have the product arrive in their postbox a few days later. However, we're not an online retailer so it's not the best use of our efforts to push to make this happen at this time. Can you help us improve? Is there another way? Drop an email to Directors@TRF.org.uk to start a conversation. Feel free to CC me in - Greg@TRF.org.uk

TRF communications contractor on the hunt for good photos, films and stories. If you've been riding and have a tale to tell, I'm interested. Drop me an email greg@trf.org.uk

The Green Lane Relay: https://vimeo.com/96521474

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:02 am 
650 cc Monster

PJT wrote:
It would require somebody from the Marketing Department to give you the correct answer, but assuming Fred was doing all the printing previously, I would expect, knowing Fred he is not making any more profit from the work he does.

The prices have jumped significantly after we gained a full blown Marketing Department, so either Fred is being asked to print things in small quantities which would justify an increase in his prices or the profits are going elsewhere.

I'm sorry but you will have to guess my answer to this.

Peter - Following Greg's reply, and as you know Fred - would you like to take this up with him to get his view and progress this?

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next