TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Access to Trailwise
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:50 pm 
125cc

As a one-time member of GLASS (last year I considered greenlaning in my trusty LR90 - before I discovered the delights of TRF) I was registered and able to access Trailwise, with definitive (?) marked maps of legal greenlanes/routes for use by motor vehicles. This year I didn't renew my subscription to GLASS and with it my access to Trailwise. The automatic response from their website advised me to contact you guys at TRF (or GLASS) for sign-in details. Can you help me please?

Post subject: Re: Access to Trailwise
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:08 am 
300 cc

Tim,

Send an e-mail to memsec with your membership number and (I think) your postcode.
She will then kindly send you the access code.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:42 am 
400 cc

You need to be a member of the TRF to get access to trail wise full site.Its very outdated though so don't go sailing off down the lanes that are marked, as they may not still be ok to use.
Please correct if I am wrong ?

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:18 pm 
125cc

Thank you both for the sound advice.
I will get myself re-registered with Trailwise but I'm confused over the validity of the data/routes marked as legal etc. Surely that's the whole point about Trailwise; that it provides biffs like me with a definitive pictoral `list' of all the routes we can happily ride along?
Again showing my ignorance in such matters, does such a `definitive' list/marked map exist or is the situation so complicated (with TROs etc) that it's just about impossible to keep abreast of developments?
Finally, could anyone recommend a section of the TRF website or piece on the interweb that might explain, in simple English, the definitions (with explanations) of legal byways/routes/lanes please? And there was I thinking that the dots and crosses on OS maps would suffice!

Finally, finally forgive me raising this issue again as I suspect it's been a thorn in many peoples' sides for a good many years - my plea of mitigation involves pure ignorance and being fairly new to greenlaning.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:09 pm 
400 cc

I personally do not use Trailwise nor do I advise anyone else to use it, reason being in most areas I am familiar with, trailwise is hopelessly out of date or completely wrong. This comes about because anyone can post on Trailwise without having any evidence to back up what they claim, then relying on other registered users putting up correct information.

So if you use information on Trailwise you are still obliged to verify it for yourself, stating you got the info from Trailwise is not an acceptable excuse for riding an illegal lane :?

Best of luck.

Rod Jackson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:46 pm 
300 cc

Tim,
As Rod says, Trailwise is only a Starting point, and much of the information is old (but not necessarily out of date).
It is quite good in that it will show you lanes that someone has used (legally or otherwise) that you may overlook by just using OS maps.
Quadmeister Nick is the best source of info!!!
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:33 pm 
400 cc

My post may seem a bit harsh about Trailwise, it is a starting point and as long as it is not taken as "gospel" and further checks are made before use, all should be well, but I firmly believe, the only thing worse than no information, is wrong information.

Rod Jackson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:01 pm 
125cc

Many thanks chaps, I've got that. I must admit that I hadn't realised that the Trailwise was, in effect a free for all, (sounds a bit like Wikipedia) but, as Mike says, its a good starting point. But to be frank I think I'll rely upon Nick, Mike, Rob and all my other experienced greenlaning chums that put up with my company/whinging as I follow them around the countryside! But I think that now is the time to start learning from them. So Mike when are you off the rig next mucker?! I could do with sitting down with thee and Nick and mark up my (already on order) maps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:25 pm 
300 cc

Tim, I got home Tuesday. Hopefully I can get out for some cold, wet and muddiness in the next couple of weeks - SWMBO permitting of course!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:08 pm 
125cc

Good-oh Mike,welcome back from the North Sea. I've ordered a bunch of 1:25k maps, and awaiting their arrival in the next day or two. I would really welcome tapping into your local knowledge and/or copying the legal routes off your map. At least then I'd have an idea where I could/shouldn't ride. Now if I can also tap into Nick and Rob's marked maps that would be perfect. I'd be more than willing to pay for bacon butties/beer in order to elicit knowledge (something that my wife would vouch for is an extremely rare event!). Can I let you know when the maps arrive and, more importantly, tap into any trips that you guys might have planned. My eldest son is home just before Xmas and he's keen to marry up and enjoy a ride out too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next