TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Recommended Neck warmer/gloves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:23 am 
80 cc

Hey guys n gals.

After riding my friends XR125 last night from where we purchased it... my neck was getting a little chilly. I have what I thought to have been a decent enough one but... it was one clear sky last night and a bit nippy but felt the cold get to my neck along the 2 hour journey. Had thought about wearing a scarf too nicely tucked in :p but just a decent neck warmer would be ideal.

Also my fingers were blue, the gloves I wear are really good for daytime summer riding but not so much for those chilly days. I'm thinking Alpinestars Apex Drystar. Meant to be decent enough.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Recommended Neck warmer/gloves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:46 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

'Oxford' make quite a good neck warmer plus a balaclava as a good combination but they can get wet in heavy rain.

As for gloves, in winter I wear some mountain bike gloves which I bought from Decathlon, additionally spray them with waterproofing from Aldi. I also still wear trials gloves but I have fitted handlebar heaters too :?

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:51 am 
650 cc Monster

I have a neck tube that, ideally, shouldn't have a seam.
The one I wear is quite thin but plenty warm enough under a full face helmet.
You can get thicker fleece type ones but I would think they would be too hot on the lanes.
You can always get balaclavas but they are a bit restrictive for me.

Gloves are tricky - if you have 'cold' hands, then I would recommend heated grips. Lovely and toasty :D :D
I only need them on first thing or on longer road bits - even when really cold, I rarely have them on when on the lanes as you get a lot warmer.
My old gloves are Alpinestars Chill but they are really only any good down to about 5C - after that gloves tned to get a bit bulky to use easily when you get on the nadgery bits.

Some on here like bar muffs but they are a very personal thing (love them or loath them) - I'm not keen on the idea but they would keep you warm and dry but........ :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:56 am 
80 cc

I love the idea of heated grips but not sure if it will conflict with the R6 mod my bike has. Riding my friends 125 last night made me realize how rubbish the stock accelerator grip is, where as mine has the full range of motion with half the movement, granted not as much control but I feel comfortable enough that I can control her.

I will have a look into the oxford warmer :)

I like the idea of the muffs.... but only at night... when I'm able to be stealthy :p... (or not seen anyway lol) So that's just not happening. It helps that on my bike I have the zeta hand guards so that helps to deflect a little of the cold wind. my friend doesn't have that so I really felt that chill.

for green laning none of this would be an issue ofc but just those off the mark random unplanned long missions that need to be tackled.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:04 pm 
650 cc Monster

Not sure what an R6 mod is but the warmers are a wafer thin sheet that go between the bar or twistgrip and the rubber - they don't thicken anything.

I wouldn't use bar muffs in the dark, let alone daylight.
I have standards.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:08 pm 
80 cc

I commute all year and have tested out a fair amount of kit before settling on my current set up so hopefully this helps....

For scarfs, I use Buffs - there are various different types available but I use the original ones most of the time but if it's really cold, I also have one that has a fleece bit at one end. Buffs are a bit more expensive than the alternatives but I've found that they keep their elasticity longer so work out to be more cost effective in the long term.

Glove-wise, I have some Alpinestars Arctic Drystar gloves which are pretty much a short cuff version of the Apex ones IIRC. They're OK but not the best once the temperature drops into mid single digits and below. However, they work really well with heated grips as they allow the heat through and trap it pretty well once it's there. I also have a 2nd pair which are my go-to winter trail riding gloves.

When I don't have heated grips available or it's really cold, I have some Alpinestars WR-3 Gore-Tex gloves which are much better in cold temperatures than the Arctics but are thicker so restrict feel a bit more but not too badly. If you don't have heated grips, then I'd definitely recommend them (just did a quick Google of them and Sportsbikshop.co.uk are doing a bit of a discount on them at the moment).

However, if you're not fashion conscious, bar muffs are the best option for winter riding IMHO - especially with heated grips.... mmmm, toasty! :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:07 pm 
650 cc Monster

Yeah I just got a fiver Snood off EvilBay, and it's half fleece, but with a thin cottony top bit, that you can pull over your head like a hood... Muffs are the way to go re winter riding... I wear the same gloves as I do in summer...but obviously lack a massive sense of style, it helps that I ain't on Facebook as well, so don't have any cyber-bullying to contend with, having said that, I ride for myself, and do not give a flying f**k what other people think.I ride a lot, in all weathers, and never have any issues giving people the single digit when they diss my muffs...'sure you can have my muffs, when you pry them from my warm, undead fingers !'...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:53 pm 
80 cc

I think these are the warmers that davidscott is talking about, Jay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Universal ... 2015425156

I've got some, but need to fit them, its getting nippy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:06 am 
650 cc Monster

That's the type of thing - get 'em fitted :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:09 pm 
650 cc Monster

Check a site called 'BangGood' they have 2 position (warm and hot) heated ADHESIVE ( all the others don't) grip heaters..(£4).. The rest are meant to go OVER the grips,as the heat shrink is too large otherwise... And the pads end up overlapping, not good... Ask me how I know...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next