TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: My bikes too loud
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:27 pm 
80 cc

So I just purchased a DRZ400SM yesterday (which I totally fell in love with straight away mind), one of the reasons being that I wanted to semi convert her for some green laning. Had a nice 3 hour ride back from where I bought her (all motorway yawn), but it didn't take that long to realize that she is a bit too loud. She has a full scorpion exhaust system which has been professionally cut down somewhat and she just about passes the MOT.

Only really quite loud when she's above 50, so on the roads I don't mind because at least I have the ability to let numpty drivers know I'm there when needed (if they hadn't seen me ofc, even with florescent clothing on) but I feel I wouldn't be so comfortable green laning so besides having to change the actual exhaust (due to expense) would there be any alternative recommendations of things I can do so quiet her down a little.

As for the moment I just don't want to take her green laning. I don't want to put out a bad image of green lane riders even though I'm driving really safely and respectfully. I probably love nature more than most of these horse riders/walkers out there. So yeah... any ideas? :)

:)

With gratitude
Jahson

Post subject: Re: My bikes too loud
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:00 pm 
80 cc

alliasjay wrote:
So I just purchased a DRZ400SM yesterday (which I totally fell in love with straight away mind), one of the reasons being that I wanted to semi convert her for some green laning. Had a nice 3 hour ride back from where I bought her (all motorway yawn), but it didn't take that long to realize that she is a bit too loud. She has a full scorpion exhaust system which has been professionally cut down somewhat and she just about passes the MOT.

Only really quite loud when she's above 50, so on the roads I don't mind because at least I have the ability to let numpty drivers know I'm there when needed (if they hadn't seen me ofc, even with florescent clothing on) but I feel I wouldn't be so comfortable green laning so besides having to change the actual exhaust (due to expense) would there be any alternative recommendations of things I can do so quiet her down a little.

As for the moment I just don't want to take her green laning. I don't want to put out a bad image of green lane riders even though I'm driving really safely and respectfully. I probably love nature more than most of these horse riders/walkers out there. So yeah... any ideas? :)

With gratitude
Jahson

Hello, with it being a Scorpion system there usually quite loud anyway, I had a full shotgun scorpion system on my old ccm and found the only way to quiet it down was with a decibel killer, usually quite easy to find for scorpions, hope it helps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:01 pm 

Has the actual scorpion silencer been cut down?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:34 pm 
80 cc

KentWR wrote:
Has the actual scorpion silencer been cut down?

Yeah he had it professionally reduced in size. It's not like super small. Probably only shaved off a few inches but I reckon it made a difference.

Went out for a little ride today in the slower country lanes (even though most are national speed limit? :S...30's fine for me along those really narrow roads thank you) but the sound was manageable. I even passed a few horses along one of the roads and received nothing but smiles and waves from the owners. So it's doable. Can definitely make some people jump in town though... can't help but doing a little bit of brapping :P

How did I ever let 13 years pass without having a bike? :S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:41 pm 

where r u based?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:46 pm 
80 cc

I'm based in Salisbury.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:56 pm 

oh ok. You would be better off putting a standard silencer on it mate..Thats the quietest pipe for a DRZ.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:01 pm 
80 cc

To be honest, I may just buy a cheaper exhaust anyway as I wouldn't want to damage the lovely one that's on it atm.

Shouldn't take too long to change the exhaust and wheels making it ready for those greens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:05 pm 
200 cc

It may have been rejeted when the scorpion was fitted so you may have to rejet again when you change the exhaust.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:08 pm 
80 cc

Muddy Boots wrote:
It may have been rejeted when the scorpion was fitted so you may have to rejet again when you change the exhaust.

Ah yeah forgot about that. Have a load of jets that was given with the bike sale, so much for a half an hour change around :p

Another thing to add is I noticed the Horn doesn't work. Hopefully it just needs reconnecting so will take a look at that before I go out on her again. MOT due soonish wouldn't want it to fail. ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next