TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: CLOSED.. Won't ask again!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:06 pm 
50 cc

Before you read any further all i,m asking for is an official specification of an inner tube.. STD.. HD.. EHD... Thats ALL!

Hi All,

Just purchased a Heavy Duty inner tube and on delivery noticed it wasn't particularly thick, so out came the calipers and it measures 2.6mm meaning a single wall would be 1.3mm?

Now i,m in talks with the dealer (he says all his tubes measure 3.274mm.. which to me means about 1.6mm skin wall = Standard tube) Could really could do with some official statistics with regards what the standard is for inner tubes.

I know a heavy duty inner tube should 2 - 3mm, but i don't think my word is good enough, so if you have any links to official body's it would be appreciated.

also in the process of contacting iso.org to see if there are any specs.

Regards,

Rod

Last edited by wysiwuguk on Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: What should you expect from a heavy Duty inner tube?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:13 pm 

I've got continental tubes 5.5m like a tyre inside a tyre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:40 pm 
50 cc

KentWR wrote:
I've got continental tubes 5.5m like a tyre inside a tyre

but i don't think the dealer will be interested in what another rider is using.. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:51 pm 

Sorry I thought you were looking for thicker ones....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:55 pm 
50 cc

KentWR wrote:
Sorry I thought you were looking for thicker ones....

No worries.. just need to prove to the dealer that 1.6mm thick tube is not heavy duty and he isnt accepting my word for it! :x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:55 pm 
300 cc

What brand is it? go to manufacturers web site and look up the spec. Some do heavy duty and extra heavy duty.
Example
Michelin Ultra Heavy-Duty Inner Tube
Featuring a 4mm wall thickness,
The Vee Rubber Ultra-Heavy Duty tubes are manufactured using 3mm thick rubber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:42 pm 
200 cc

I bought something similar in the past and I still see them for sale on ebay as heavy duty. See the link below. It all ended well as they are perfect to carry as spares as they are far lighter and take up less space than v rubber, michelin etc.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PREMIUM-HEAVY ... Osrc4BJ9HQ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:13 pm 
50 cc

Eddie wrote:
I bought something similar in the past and I still see them for sale on ebay as heavy duty. See the link below. It all ended well as they are perfect to carry as spares as they are far lighter and take up less space than v rubber, michelin etc.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PREMIUM-HEAVY ... Osrc4BJ9HQ

Thanks thats a brilliant idea..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:13 pm 
300 cc

wysiwuguk wrote:
Hi All,

Just purchased a Heavy Duty inner tube and on delivery noticed it wasn't particularly thick, so out came the calipers and it measures 2.6mm meaning a single wall would be 1.3mm?

Now i,m in talks with the dealer (he says all his tubes measure 3.274mm.. which to me means about 1.6mm skin wall = Standard tube) Could really could do with some official statistics with regards what the standard is for inner tubes.

I know a heavy duty inner tube should 2 - 3mm, but i don't think my word is good enough, so if you have any links to official body's it would be appreciated.

also in the process of contacting iso.org to see if there are any specs.

Regards,

Rod

If the thickness of an inner tube is such a concern to you I have to question your motive or objective.

If you want to remove the chance of a puncture get a mousse. If you want something heavier than a mousse and heavier than a standard tube which will still puncture get a heavy duty inner tube.

Sod the legal arguments......do you always keep to the speed limit in your car?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:32 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Guess the problem is that there is no legal definition or specification, it is simply a description.

You can only check the individual manufacturer's specification and compare, if it fits the dimensions etc then that is the end of the line and you write it off to experience. Maybe the seller would swop the tube for one from a different manufacturer, adjusting the cost accordingly.

Personally I currently use Michelin Reinforced 2.6 tubes, I know exactly what I am buying. I have used Continental too which gave good service too. Michelin do make a HD 4mm version which have given me excellent service in the past but they are very heavy. I always generously dust the inside of the tyre with talcum powder as it helps to lube and cool the surfaces, you smell nice too according to Joel :shock:

I attach a photo of an offending article which is as it was removed from my rear tyre whilst out on a ride. The tube was so wrapped around the nail that we had to cut it off before we could remove the nail :!: No tube would resist that attack :twisted:

Attachment:
OOps puncture.jpg
OOps puncture.jpg [ 434.42 KiB | Viewed 8135 times ]

Other riders choose other marques, but I think that I will stick with Michelin even though they generally tend to cost a little bit more upfront.

You could always sell it to make tank straps, (see other Post) :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next