TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tyre changer recommendation
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:17 am 
125cc

I've got a Seeley tyre changer but I can't recommend it.
It works well on car tyres on steel rims and would probably be fine on motorcycle wheels with steel rims but how many bikes these days have those?
As sold it only comes with a lever suitable for steel rims (this is stated in the sales blurb) and would damage alloy ones. There is a lever suitable for alloy rims available but when I got mine it was very expensive. I bought a "nylon" sleeved lever for alloy wheels from ebay which is fine on car tyres but is too fat for bike tyres. I intend trying to make a slimmer nylon sleeved lever to use on bike wheels.
The bead breaker works well on car and bike tyres but you need to be careful not to mark the rim.
It is useful to hold bike wheels to use normal tyre levers on but it's an extremely expensive way of doing that!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:06 pm 
80 cc

Thanks for the info all.

Will sort out either an old car wheel or a tyre rig off fleabay for starters and give it a go. Got some good info also off KTM Forum and RBJ website.

Update to follow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:37 pm 
400 cc

jamsam wrote:
Thanks for the info all.

Will sort out either an old car wheel or a tyre rig off fleabay for starters and give it a go. Got some good info also off KTM Forum and RBJ website.

Update to follow

Share it with us if you will

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:17 pm 
80 cc

johnnyboxer wrote:
jamsam wrote:
Thanks for the info all.

Update to follow

Share it with us if you will

will do.

bits starting to filter through the post so hopefully all ready for the weekend.

cheap tyre changer rig from M&P arrived this morning as well as a treat to myself for early fathers day present of a shiny blue anodised Motion Pro bead buddy - there's something very tactile about a piece of shiny machined / anodised aluminium - or is it just me :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:39 pm 
80 cc

I fit a lot of mousses and tyres for the guys in the Bristol Trf

i use the drc mousse changer its £200 but the foot operated bead breaker is great as it becomes your your third hand that helps you get the tyre bead into the wheel well when fitting a mousse.
probably a bit too expensive if your fitting a mouse here and there but a must for me because i fit a fair few.

Yamaha Wr250Zb
Scorpa Long Ride.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2