TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Tubliss or Mousse
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:16 pm 
200 cc

Think that I use about 120ml (total) in the rear tyre. Not sure on ouncies!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:38 pm 
400 cc

If the "stans" tyre sealant is used, does it not gunge up the tubliss and need a thorough clean before fitting the next tyre?

2 Yams

DON'T BE A MARIONETTE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:16 pm 
650 cc Monster

It's not much of a problem.
I just hose the wheel off and fit the tyre.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:17 pm 
80 cc

The good old Tube / Tubliss/ Bib-Mousse debate !!

Laying my cards on the table I am a Michelin dealer / Long term TRF member ( we offer a TRF discount ;) )

Michelin invented Bib-Mousse 25 yrs ago for the Dakar, and EVERY winner of the Dakar since has had Michelin bib-mousse fitted, NO Pro riders use Tubliss , ( a few good experts often get given them to try ) you will almost certainly get a puncture ( Impossible with Bib Mousse) , Over the years various Tubliss systems have come and gone. Dunlop tried one once, But in fairness if your a serious racer you cant beat Mousse..

As regards Trail riding ? A lot of TRF Guys use bib mousse, and a lot use 4mm UHD Mich Tubes,

Granted Bib Mousse is a tricky to fit ,(Rabaconda makes it a breeze) it does take practice ,but unless you do loads of high speed road work will not let you down , on a winters day in the middle of nowhere !
http://www.endurotyres.com/rabaconda/

www.endurotyres.com We have the best UK Michelin prices, and Offer a TRF Forum Discount on Tyres , Mousse, Heavy Duty Tubes, etc . Why not call in to see us next time your trail riding on Salisbury plain Call our Tyre Hotline: 01980 65 55 55

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:17 pm 
200 cc

Ranger wrote:
The good old Tube / Tubliss/ Bib-Mousse debate !!

Laying my cards on the table I am a Michelin dealer / Long term TRF member ( we offer a TRF discount ;) )

My cards on the table. I think Tubliss are brilliant; I also, occasionally, sell a few.

Michelin invented Bib-Mousse 25 yrs ago for the Dakar, and EVERY winner of the Dakar since has had Michelin bib-mousse fitted, NO Pro riders use Tubliss , ( a few good experts often get given them to try )

If I was doing the Dakar, I'd use a mousse. But I'm not. I'm doing a few LDTs and a lot of trail riding. I imagine that goes for most of the people on this forum (it is, after all, the TRF forum not The Dakar Forum). I'm not looking for something that will allow me to ride as fast as I dare across the desert, I'm looking for a bit of extra grip through those gnarly roots or on that wet rock slab - often on a trials tyre. You can't reduce the pressure on a mousse (although the pros will get their team mechanics to drill holes in it to reduce the effective pressure, and then throw it away at the end of the event) They also don't really fit in trials tyres - and if they do, the above problem still applies.

you will almost certainly get a puncture

What??? bloody hell I must have been lucky these past 3 years, I've only had 2 and they were fixed in a couple of minutes using a 'string' repair plug (the repairs lasted the life of the tyre)

As regards Trail riding ? A lot of TRF Guys use bib mousse, and a lot use 4mm UHD Mich Tubes,

I won't comment on tubes other than to say I would never go back to using them. I won't go into the legality of using mousses on road either

Granted Bib Mousse is a tricky to fit ,(Rabaconda makes it a breeze) it does take practice ,but unless you do loads of high speed road work will not let you down , on a winters day in the middle of nowhere !
http://www.endurotyres.com/rabaconda

A Tubliss won't 'let you down, on a winters day in the middle of nowhere!'. If you puncture, you fix it quickly and easily (as above). If it won't fix, you ride the flat safe in the knowledge that the tyre won't 'wallow' or come off the rim.

Mousses are great at what they were designed for, but they do have their limitations. Tubliss also have their limitations in that, yes, you can still puncture. On balance though, I think that their strengths far outweigh any limitations. I have one remaining wheel (out of 6) with a mousse in it; when that mousse wears out it will be replaced with a Tubliss.

If I ever enter the Dakar, I'll come back to you for that TRF discount on mousses ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:11 am 
300 cc

I'm not entering the Dakar, and my bike is not a 200kg pig where the extra weight of a mousse or UHD is probably not noticed. Nor does it have that much bhp, being a 125. So I am keen to avoid rolling unsprung weight and am keen to minimise getting stuck in a group on a day out. One post suggests you can carry on riding with a puncture anyway. So happy days.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3