TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: wr250f main bearings gone after 1000 miles??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:21 am 
80 cc

Hi just had the engine stripped down on my wr250f due to a knocking noise coming from the block and after speaking to several garages i'm under the impression that its down to a big end problem. My local garage rang me yesterday to say it looks like ive got play on the crankshaft main bearings, Is this normal for a bike thats only covered a 1200 miles from new to have a knocking noises and bearing problems so early in an engine's life? I'm worried there could be damage to the piston or wrist pin etc? anyone had a similar problem?

Last edited by benmapplebeck on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: wr250f main bearings gone after 1000 miles??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 am 
Can you enrich the post with:

Bike Age / number of owners / condiction / oil change history / service history / Hours between services

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:39 pm 
80 cc

The bike has done little over 1200 miles im the second owner from new the bike had only covered road miles when i bought it at 850 miles in november 2009 it was in mint as new condition then ive used it off road since so has had some abuse in the worst winter could throw at us, the bike is an 06 f(V) model but was sold as new in 2008 think it had sat in the showroom unsold till then. Unsure as to oil change frequency before i got the bike but i dont think it had had the oil changed till i bought it judging by the oil tank nuts which still had the paint on. I change the oil after every ride out with the filter so probably every 6 hours of run time approx and air filter every other ride out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:43 pm 

Isn't the oil meant to be changed about every 300 miles on those?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:50 pm 

850miles on the road...em. problem is how hard was it ridden from new for those 850miles...was it run in properly?? another thing miledge means nothing on these bikes... its so easy to disconnect a speedo on an enduro bike I never take miledge into consideration....it could have done double that onthe road in the summer and still looked new......I have have many WR's and rebuilt many...What area are you? can you get a video of the noise? oh and I am guessing itsthe steel framed one?

I have known peopke to have a bad one from the factory at 0 miles....Changing the main bearing is no drama...I would like to hear it...Have the valves been checked?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 pm 
80 cc

Bushwackers right about the enduro boys removing speedo cables my te450 was without one when i bought it
Do you know if it was enduroed it may have had a harder life than you think? :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:45 am 
80 cc

the bike was mint and i mean mint when i got it still on original dunlop tyres not a scratch on it frame or anywhere ive had a few bikes and i know one run on a trail and you know a bikes been off road/used. so im pretty sure the milage is genuine :?:

I got the valves checked at 1000 miles weather the garage actually checked them remains to be seen but the garage that is looking at it now is going to check them again after replacing the bearings. would the valves cause the clattering noise??

The noise is pretty much a noise that seems to match the piston revs if ya get me and it speeds up/down with revs it is more evedent under full load you can hear it 4th/5th from roughly 40+ starts of like a scratchy/rattly noise i'd say a rattle for every piston stroke it seems to be consistent with the piston reveloutions but if i give the bike full throttle in 4th/5th it turns into a fairly loud clattering noise knock knock knock knock etc... the bike could well have drawn water in through it's outtings with me to scarhouse resevoir as everytime the bike goes through a river or big puddle when i check the clear hose on the airbox drain it has water in everytime which i'm quite surprised at.

Unfortunately i cannot supply a recording as the motors currently on the bech at my garage awaiting new main bearings i just hope this cures it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:38 am 
125cc

Road miles can kill an off road bike. Could be the piston as daft as it sounds. Had a chatter on a DRZ400 at only 1800 miles and it was a knackered piston due to it being thrashed by the previous owner without oil changes (he'd used it to commute 100 miles a day on a motorway). I paid for it to be fixed and luckily got my money back by selling it to the Czech Republic :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:48 am 
125cc

If the main bearings and / or big end have gone they must have been starved of oil or severely overheated. Make sure the garage repairing yoru bike checks the oil screen in the bottom of frame and the one in bottom of engine (only visible when you split crankcases). I would definately get top end examined as well as this is furthest from the oil pump. I agree with GBRob piston slap could also be a problem as they run very small piston skirts on modern 4 strokes and can wear out in no time, but if there's play between the crank and bearings then the mains definately need doing. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:50 pm 

Let us no how this goes and if you do get it fixed matey. Them WR's are normally pretty reliable

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next