TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: road legal-ing wr250
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:26 pm 
80 cc

Can anyone help with what is required to make a wr250f road legal. The ad has the following information 'The bike has never been made road legal. As such the front and rear lights work and are on at all times whilst the engine is running. Rear light is NOT a brake light, and front light does not have dipped/full beam etc.' Interested to know how to go about full MOT (if it is possible) and about DVLA.
This is my 3rd attempt at posting this question - sorry if it now turns up 3 times - I can't see where the previous ones went!
Paul

Post subject: Re: road legal-ing wr250
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:33 pm 
paulo wrote:
Can anyone help with what is required to make a wr250f road legal. The ad has the following information 'The bike has never been made road legal. As such the front and rear lights work and are on at all times whilst the engine is running. Rear light is NOT a brake light, and front light does not have dipped/full beam etc.' Interested to know how to go about full MOT (if it is possible) and about DVLA.
This is my 3rd attempt at posting this question - sorry if it now turns up 3 times - I can't see where the previous ones went!
Paul

Hi Paul, best thijng to do it have a good look on a) TBM forum, b) thumper talk forum...

Loads of info there.....

Dealers will charge a few hundred to do it......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:19 am 
650 cc Monster

When I was looking for a bike earlier this year I was tempted to un-registered ones but it didn't seem much more to get one already done.
I suspect the hassle of getting the registration and doing the work is a bit of a pain.

I may be painting too dark a picture but I really thought it wasn't worth the effort - or maybe I'm just lazy :)

Best of luck with the search.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:38 pm 
I have shamlessly lifted this from another site

Quote:
This is how to register an off road MX type bike on a daytime MOT; it get's your bike legally on the road

1) Get a certificate of newness ( for an age related plate)If you want it on an age related plate then get a certificate of newness (for KTM you just call up www.ktm.co.uk on 01280 709500 and ask the person that anwers the phone that you want a certificate of newness; they will will then give you there email address ; email them with the frame & engine No, make and model of bike; and your address. Its free and they usually post it within a couple of days

2) Get it on a daytime MOT

You can get a Daytime MOT from any bike MOT station. Remove any lights unless they are fully working for a daytime MOT all you need is a reflector at the back of the bike for the day / road legal tyres and a horn ( get the £10 mega horn from Halfords) horn) that's it; clearly your bike need to be road worthy i.e. no oil leaks; good brakes etc etc just book it in and get your MOT!

If you want a full MOT you will need tail light and brake might operated by both front and rear levers; front light with main beam and dip.

3) Insurance
Get insurance on the frame number (Carol Nash will do this for two weeks; you then have to give them the plate No when registered; make sure you can get to the DVLA within 2 weeks of insuring it or they will cancel your policy.

4) The DVLA
Go on the internet and download a V55/5 from the www.dvla.gov.uk there website or you can get one over the phone. When you get this fill it in with the obvious boxes but make sure you put it down as a 'enduro bike' you don't need to fill out all the emmssions info / power to weight etc etc, you don't need to fill out things to do with the MSVA test.

Just fill out your details; bike info make, colour, cc's etc.

go to your local DVLA without the bike first but with all your paperwork ( inc passport and utility bill) you pay them £96 which includes your tax for a year

when you are there on your first visit you will need to book the bike in for a inspection

go back on your inspection date; they measure seat height and ground clearance - thats all; and will tell you on the day of inspection its registration Number and give you a tax disc

5) Give the registration number to your insurance company
And get a cool plate made up for your new bike

6) Your Log book
wait about 1 week and your log book will come through; just check the frame and engine number are correct.

7) Wheelie like a nutter on your new road bike - Happy Days!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]