TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Newbie Here Opininons wanted.
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:05 pm 
125cc

Hello i just posted a post about a rm125.

Well now im thinking not to bother and just get a trail bike for greenlanes and council ground (slightly illegal but thats illegal for you not unlawful ;) :D ) and to be able to ride on road to green lanes.

Now ive done my cbt and theory so i now need to do Part 1 and 2 test to get the A2 license which i can ride a bike with a power output upto 46.6 bhp and power weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kw per kg. (tad confusing get your girlfriend or wife near lol).

I was previously interested in a wr250R but they just seem powerless on youtube vids. to my understanding they have to be revved but for me if i was getting a 4 stroke i would rather it be a wr450F for the torque.

So what about 2 strokes? which come into the license catorgery: 46.6bhp MAX power to weight 0.2kW MAX.
Which i can have fun on e.g arm stretching powerband lol and which can be road driven (weekends) which wont cause me to much hassle maintaining it (top-end).

I was thinking GasGas ec ???

Thanks for reading and your answers :shock: :arrow: (Bit long post/read but we got there matey!!)

Post subject: Re: Newbie Here Opininons wanted.
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 am 
650 cc Monster

Good morning Chris,

I presume that you are new to motorcycling and to the TRF.

Unfortunately you do not state where in the country you live but my best advice to you (and to all possible newbies) would be to get in touch with your local Group and visit their meeting from where you will gain a better insight into suitable motorcycles. We all have our favourites for our own personal reasons, mine currently is the Yamaha Serow. Your local group will take you to places where you can improve your skills.

May I respectfully ask that you do not go 'off road' but stay on the lanes as per our code of conduct, by doing so you will stay out of trouble and unpleasant confrontational situations, plus uphold the TRF's hard earned reputation at a time when image is very important.

Hope that you enjoy green laning.

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:53 am 
650 cc Monster

I thought the restricted licence was only 33bhp ? Or has it changed or am i wrong lol cheers
Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:13 pm 
125cc

hello hugh and dan....

hugh i am from swansea and am 20. i understand about not going off road but im just going to say no comment, i cant rant im using phone to type its hard plus i dont wanna be hated.

yes dan rules changed 19th january for the better for them money wise and us saftey wise....

what im really wanting to know is the 2 stroke range which fit into my licence and can go on roads which wont screw it up?

roll up roll up reply everyone :?:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:33 pm 
650 cc Monster

I got my restricted licence before the date you just said so is my licence still 33 bhp or the new limit if its the new one im buzzing
Good to hear this plz let me know :D
Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:34 pm 
650 cc Monster

Also if thats the case you cannot go wrong with a xr250 or drz even a xr400 great bikes i know its four stroke but bulletproof and im pretty sure the ktm 125s are under 46bhp :)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:19 pm 
650 cc Monster

Bit of maths......

Bear in mind that the main impact of the restriction isn't the max power but the max power/weight ratio. This rules out anything remotely powerfull in the dirtbike world.

0.2kw per kilo maw power ratio = 0.268ish bhp per kilo max.

ktm 125 is roughly 100 kilo and puts out 30bhp+ which = 0.3 bhp/kilo ie not legal.

if you wanted a 40bhp bike it would need to weigh 150kg approx.

You might find a 200 exc - gs autolube model (basically a detuned exc trailbike) puts out less than 26.8 bhp at the rear wheel (using a knobbly tye with low pressure will sap 10% of power ;) ) and this weighs 100kilo ish.

You aren't going to find arm wrenching power within the legal license limits (which is the point of them!). Some bikes you may regard as slow are likely to be beyond the scope of your license.

If your looking for arm stretching powerbands your better off avoiding greenlanes altogether, as well as council land. There's plenty of opportunities for enduro's, practice days, mx treacks and other off road competition/facilities where you can legally ride powerfull bikes at full pelt. It works out cheaper than riding a bike your not licenced for and the assosciated fall out from being nicked (let alone the problems it causes legal users of green lanes).

Non road legal mx'ers (such as the rm125) are generally cheaper than road legal bikes. the money saved can go on a trailer/car to get you to the competitions and practice venues.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:07 pm 
125cc

malton if you passed test before 19th january the 33bhp rule still applies. lucky for you, you dont have to do another test to upgrade unlike the new rules.

jonpaul thanks for posting. the power to weight was my concern :evil: owh well....

so as far as 4 strokes go im not that interested in them aghh...

well if i get a bike which exceeds the power to weight limit what will happen?

all the joe's on peds deristrict their motors and no police seem interested down here, so i may risk it for a biscuit if the consequences aint that bad....

so what 2 strokes can be ridden on road without the gearbox and stuff messing up - i am looking at gas gas ec 200 they look tidy /

ktm exc 200 are super weird for an enduro as on youvids there is F A power till it reaches power band. so that doesnt attract me for the roads and green lanes.

thanks very liking this forum so far. awsome :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:08 pm 
650 cc Monster

Cheers chris yeah lucky i don't have to take another test
Unlucky that I'm 33bhp still lol
Cheers mate
Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 pm 
650 cc Monster

Chris123321 wrote:
malton if you passed test before 19th january the 33bhp rule still applies. lucky for you, you dont have to do another test to upgrade unlike the new rules.

jonpaul thanks for posting. the power to weight was my concern :evil: owh well....

so as far as 4 strokes go im not that interested in them aghh...

well if i get a bike which exceeds the power to weight limit what will happen?

all the joe's on peds deristrict their motors and no police seem interested down here, so i may risk it for a biscuit if the consequences aint that bad....

so what 2 strokes can be ridden on road without the gearbox and stuff messing up - i am looking at gas gas ec 200 they look tidy /

ktm exc 200 are super weird for an enduro as on youvids there is F A power till it reaches power band. so that doesnt attract me for the roads and green lanes.

thanks very liking this forum so far. awsome :mrgreen:

Gas Gas 200 is unlikely to be legal on restricted licence.

A derestricted 125 2 t trailie is a better choice. One that's sold as a road legal trailbike and will thus be quiet and durable with neccescary road kit to make it legal for the lanes.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next