TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What bike?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:15 pm 
50 cc

I'm thinking of the trail rather than enduro bikes. Only for laning and shorter road trips locally.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:25 am 
650 cc Monster

KLX has better suspension for trail riding than the Honda. Tiny fuel tank, but very frugal. Kawasaki never seem to get behind their trail bikes in terms of marketing these days....difficult to remember that a few decades ago the enduro paddocks in the UK were lime green where now they are orange...everyone and his dog doing enduros had a KDX 200.

Many more Hondas around if you are buying second-hand...it's a better commuter than the Kwak hence much more popular.

Both need a bit of work/aftermarket parts to be trail-ready, but the Honda needs more....there's a massive thread on here somewhere if you search for it. Be warned that these Japanese road-based 250 trail bikes are heavy when compared to a more competition-biased (European) bike. A heavy bike can really sap your enthusiasm if you have to keep picking it up.

I'd recommend that you have a look at the AJP range...they are a modern bike, light, but with engines mostly based on 1990s Japanese design....air-cooled (there is a water cooled one too) sohc engines that are simple to work on and lighter than most.

TBH most people try everything, then buy a KTM 400. They do need a bit more spannering than Japanese bikes but represent an excellent package overall.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:47 pm 
50 cc

Will see if I can find an AJP to look at, certainly read some good words on them.

Be expecting to change pegs, bash plate, tyres etc.

Both about 140kg I think so light compared to my ktm adventure but probably 20kg over a 250 exc?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:10 pm 
50 cc

I've just bought the KLX if that helps? Was also looking at the CRF but the Kwack was offered with 0% and £99 dep so I figured I wouldn't get into trouble with Mrs P - oh how wrong I was!

Anyway, I luv it! Much prefer my 10ml commute on this than the GS, sooo easy to ride. Very popular in the US with the only negatives being more expensive than the CRF and running carbs, but that isn't the case here. Tank is good for 100-120 mls, seat good for 10 mins before things start going numb, good up to 65mph (so far) and there are some easy tweaks to give it some more legs.

I'm down on the South Coast nr Chichester so not much in the way of lanes to try it offroad yet, but once I've got it run in I will be building a trailer so I can tow it to places such as Salisbury Plain etc. I know this is my first post but figured best try to make it a helpful one than a boring 'Hello'.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:21 pm 
125cc

GraySWTRF wrote:
The chains no matter how you adjust them,also clatter and chatter like no other bike I have rode and will drive you nuts.

Mine did this too. I eventually tracked it down to the bearings inside the lower chain roller. The roller itself was fine but the bearings were shot after just 50 hours. Once I replaced the bearings the chain noise went away.

BTW used to ride with a guy who had a KLX and it was an extremely competent bike. No kicker tho and footpegs very narrow.

HTH
axa

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:34 pm 

I looked at a KLX 250, Maybe I was expecting too much of it for a 4 grand bike. Between the CRF and the KLX they both have flaws, IMO they are just road bikes made to look like trail bikes. The biggest flaw in the CRF is the ground clearance (some 10 inch) and the fact the front forks can't be adjusted, the rear shock only has a little preload adjustment that's useless. Engine is sweet though. A DRZ400 with 17 inch super moto wheels on has more ground clearance than a CRF250L.

The KLX has no rebound adjustment on the front forks and it has no balls........... Better off buying an older better spec bike..

I went out with two lads on some steep rocky byways. They were on CRF's..My WR bounced up it like a kangaroo.... I think one of them burnt his clutch out and the other one got wedged on a log.... :lol:

Its all about the bounce.....

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:48 pm 
80 cc

Personally I would get a 2-stroke, in my opinion nothing is as fun as when the power kicks in and your trying to hang on :lol: more power is more fun :D but its personal choice, maybe have a look at a KDX or a gasgas pampera?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2