TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tubliss tyre inserts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:50 pm 
80 cc

Anyone tried these little beasties yet?

Seems like a good idea, to be able to turn spoked wheels into tubless type wheels. The only problem I can see, is that if you get an large nail hole or tear in the tyre carcase you are back to square one, and still need a tube. So are they only really effective against concussion (snake bite) type flats?

Post subject: Re: Tubliss tyre inserts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:09 pm 

There's been a bit of discussion about these over on the Come say hello thread, which seems to have turned into a "Tell us about your useful kit" thread.

As you say, Tubliss inserts will guard against snakebites as the tyre probably doesn't puncture in those cases because it's the pinching of the tube between the tyre walls that causes the snakebite. However, you will still be prone to punctures from nails,thorns etc, or from rips and cuts. Smaller punctures can be sorted by using a tubeless tyre repair kit (mind what you do with the awl!) or using Slime. The thing is, it's a lot simpler to use a tubeless repair kit than doing a tubed repair, because you don't have to pull the wheel out. Bigger rips would still leave you as stranded as would have been with a standard setup, in which case it might be a good idea to carry a 21" spare tube, which you can use in either tyre, just in case.

Overall, I'm going to go down the Tubliss route because I think that the pro's outweigh the con's, I just need to make the business case to the financial controller ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:27 pm 
200 cc

Hi,

I'm thinking of using one on the back of my KTM, I have been
looking around and best price I have found is £99 with post for a 18". :|

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 pm 
80 cc

The other advantage is that a tubeless tyre will not deflate as fast or as drastically as a tubed one will in the event of a puncture, and should stay on the rim.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hi Guys,
I have been running Tubliss inserts front and back for about 6 mts.
Have had 2 nasty punctures where the tyre had an inch split in it so sealant would not help - split was far to large.
1. Rear puncture - continued with my ride for another 75 miles at a much slower pace.
2. Front puncture - continued with my ride for a further 25 miles. However, at home I replaced the tyre but noticed the Tubliss inner core also had a large split in it and will need to be replaced. What amazed me was that the tyre stayed on the rim for the full 25 miles at speeds up to 40mph on the road - much slower on the lanes and especially round corners.

I've phoned the firm that I bought them from and they say this is the first case they have heard of the inner core being punctured.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:55 pm 
300 cc

AlanH wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have been running Tubliss inserts front and back for about 6 mts.
Have had 2 nasty punctures where the tyre had an inch split in it so sealant would not help - split was far to large.
1. Rear puncture - continued with my ride for another 75 miles at a much slower pace.
2. Front puncture - continued with my ride for a further 25 miles. However, at home I replaced the tyre but noticed the Tubliss inner core also had a large split in it and will need to be replaced. What amazed me was that the tyre stayed on the rim for the full 25 miles at speeds up to 40mph on the road - much slower on the lanes and especially round corners.

I've phoned the firm that I bought them from and they say this is the first case they have heard of the inner core being punctured.

Have a read up on the TBM website, CupidStunt on there sells spares for Tubliss, theres also a good write up on there from other users.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:51 am 
80 cc

'Course, there is also the new Trelleborg system called the TLock that achieves much the same result, but you have to stab the tyre with a needle thingy to inflate it, because there is no tyre valve. (They use a special sealant in the tyre that plugs the small hole after you have inflated the tyre. If anything, it seems like an even simpler idea). Just seems a bit freaky puncturing the tyre to inflate it ! TBM have a small article on it this month. Works out about £133 for 2 wheels, so it is cheaper than the Tubliss.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]