TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Modifying your Honda CRF250L for the trail
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:58 am 
200 cc

A 250X spring won't work, they actually have a softer spring as the shock is longer and has more travel. The L has more of a road shock. From the brief bit of research I did, something like a XR650 shock/spring might be similar.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:02 pm 
200 cc

Well, good and bad news.

The new spring felt great. The rear ride height was higher both in terms of the bike with only its own weight and its ride hight with me on it.

On road felt spot on with less see-saw action when braking or accelerating but still comfatable. I could not feel any under damping symptoms.

On the trails the suspension was great again. I was concerned I may have been fired of the back over the bigger bumps but it was compliant and well damped.

BUT.....

as the day went on, I could feel the ride height dropping and today ive confirmed my suspicions. The spring has settled and decreased slightly in length

My mistake was having the new spring made to the length of the honda one as it is now and not taking into account the honda spring has probably decreased in length since it was assembled.

I'll have to have another spring made but increase the length to account for the spring bedding in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:23 pm 
80 cc

Hi Guys, newbie member to the TRF, forum and to trail riding (ex trials rider 30+years ago).

Just to add my bit to the discussion I have just bought a used CRF 250L that was modified by the previous owner (full FMF pipe, megabomb front, Q4 rear, ROX raised bars, red alloy CNC bits, 13 tooth front & red Talon 43 tooth rear sprockets, gold chain, red alloy Renthal fat bars, slimline LED rear tail light and indicators, red brake hoses and folding gear lever) and it has a Hagon rear shocker fitted with a nice red spring and lots of adjustment.

I'm still getting my riding gear together so haven't been out on the trail yet but it feels fine on the road, currently set on the middle of its range.

When I get used to how the forum works I'll try to put up a picture of the shocker.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:41 pm 
200 cc

Couldn't you shim it? What spring rate did you get?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:22 pm 
80 cc

Interesting discussion with regards Kevin's mods, he's a bit ahead of me on this. Muzzman might have something there if Hagon do a replacement, although it's not listed on the website. Typically about £300 for their kit.

Am looking into sourcing a budget upgrade for the TBM CRF-L, by using stiffer springs front and rear and maybe just a thicker oil both ends too? That's if we can get into the shock body... The idea will be to keep it within a reasonable budget, like £300 for both ends complete. We'll see how we get on there – just got to get through a mountain of work first...

Meantime, to lighten things up, here's the TBM CRF-L in the Elan Valley, part of the coast to coast ride (known as The Pilgrimage in the magazine). Bearing in mind I weight 89kg and had 30-litres of baggage plus a tent on board it was doing more than okay on the standard suspension.

Attachments:
_GBL4854.jpeg
_GBL4854.jpeg [ 158.64 KiB | Viewed 10380 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:23 pm 
80 cc

The ride home got a big soggy though....

Attachments:
G0310896.jpeg
G0310896.jpeg [ 146.85 KiB | Viewed 10378 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:33 pm 
200 cc

A quick update on the spring-

Ive been back to the manufacturer today and discussed a redesign of the spring. Lots of formulas and calculations, lots of me nodding and saying "whatever you think" ;)

I am getting pretty good at whipping the shock out of the back of the bike and with any luck, I should have mk 2 under test by the weekend.

Last edited by Kevin Coates on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:44 pm 
200 cc

JB-TBM wrote:
Interesting discussion with regards Kevin's mods, he's a bit ahead of me on this. Muzzman might have something there if Hagon do a replacement, although it's not listed on the website. Typically about £300 for their kit.

Am looking into sourcing a budget upgrade for the TBM CRF-L, by using stiffer springs front and rear and maybe just a thicker oil both ends too? That's if we can get into the shock body... The idea will be to keep it within a reasonable budget, like £300 for both ends complete. We'll see how we get on there – just got to get through a mountain of work first...

Meantime, to lighten things up, here's the TBM CRF-L in the Elan Valley, part of the coast to coast ride (known as The Pilgrimage in the magazine). Bearing in mind I weight 89kg and had 30-litres of baggage plus a tent on board it was doing more than okay on the standard suspension.

I am surprised at the lack of off the shelf parts for these bikes. I had thought it would have been a straight forward process.

The front forks only have the one spring (right leg I think), the oil could be changed for thicker stuff pretty easily. I am not sure the oil could be changed on the rear shock though.

If you do it all for £300, put me down for a kit ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:23 pm 
200 cc

Race Tech do a front end kit that includes a second spring.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:17 am 
200 cc

Ive been busy with the rear suspension again. The MK2 spring turned up so it was fitted and tested out yesterday evening.

Everything seems to be OK this time. Ride height is increased over standard and the ride is much improved on road and on the trails.

I checked the ride height when I got home and it hasn't dropped so the spring has kept its length unlike the first spring design.

I am pretty happy with it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next