TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: KTM 450EXC Buying tips?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:04 pm 
50 cc

Going to look at a 450exc tomorrow, its a 2004 model having only done about 1500 miles on the lanes. Don't know nything about KTM's as i am coming straight from a GSXR 1000.
I know it needs to of been maintained regularly, but are there any common faults I should look out for.
Basically I want to go there and not look like a trial bike virgin and get my pants pulled down lol.

Post subject: Re: KTM 450EXC Buying tips?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:07 am 
400 cc

Don't call it a trial bike then! ;)

It's an Enduro bike or trail bike - a trials bike is what Dougie Lampkin uses to hop about on rocks.

The EXC 450 RFS (Racing Four Stroke) is a pretty unburstable engine so check that the oil changes have been done and listen for any rattling etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:19 pm 
80 cc

May be too late to help but here goes........

Things I would also be looking for are;
1/ Leaking forks,
2/ Wheel bearings...the combination of off roading and power washing after can tend to ruin them,
3/ Usual chain and sprockets,
4/ Damaged rims, spokes missing, rims bent...don't have to do a big mileage just heavy use,
5/ May be worth looking at the airfilter, give you an idea of how well its getting maintained,
6/ Check side stand for cracks if you can, they are the strongest around.

Nice additions would be a clutch protector, prevents a broken chain from destroying the clutch case, good tyres aren't so important imo, they aren't as pricey as road rubber.

I have an 03 bike, great machine and only one cylinder to worry about ;)

Good luck 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:21 pm 
Get AA Cover :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:20 pm 
300 cc

i agree with aceboy, aa or rac cover is a must. :twisted:

good luck mate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:25 pm 

How is the bike then?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:44 am 
50 cc

Thanks Jewikey and Aceboy, really helpful comments :roll:

Plenty of people have them so they can't all be wrong?

Back to what the threads about, the bike is ok. I really thought it would have more power but most of the miles I did yesterday was on-road which is obviously not where it belongs but I was expecting an complete animal which would be giving me some 3rd gear wheelies? When I briefly went off-road is was brilliant, it made more sense and the power delivery was more than enough. It feels nicely balanced and it was quite nice hanging the tail out on corners. It does sound nice too.
The previous owner said he changed the oil every 12 hours but wasn't too hot on his cleaning regime. It wasn't caked in crap but you can see it needs a good strip down and cleaning in all the hard to reach places, I was quite fussy about my Gixer so I suppose I will have to adapt my expectations on how clean a dirtbike should be. The plastics have a fair few scratches on them but they seem quite cheap to replace.

Thanks for the tips Muddyone!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:36 am 
OK as you seem to have had a sense of humor failure, here is a useful reply:

Ask the member AdamA on here, he owned a KTM for a couple of years, he will be able to add plenty of useful tips. Also there are KTM specific forums, that will be able to address your queries?

Is that more helpful to you?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:24 pm 
200 cc

Loads of us still own KTM450EXCRFS...& love riding them.

Nat...check the gearing...it should be 14 front & 50 rear. If you add a tooth or two to the rear it will wheelie easier over the fallen trees, logs etc, but will hurt the fuel consumption.

Also, check that the airfilter is ok. If the previous owner has not bothered too much in some areas, he may not have been too hot on others as well. It is always a good idea to have one spare ready for after a deep puddle or a dusty Hare & Hounds event. There are loads of options for air filters...do a search on www.ktmforum.co.uk for good advice on cleaning them. I use a kit supplied by www.race-spec.com and the right oil for after cleaning. Then I keep the clean one in an old cake tin or one of those large sweet tins that we always get for Xmas.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:33 pm 
200 cc

I'm not much of a technical bod but I own a KTM450 EXC and she has done me proud.

Hopefully you won't need to know this, but they crash very well :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next