TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Leaking Carburetor - Yamaha WR 426
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:28 am 
80 cc

Hi

I have a 2002 WR 426 which has stared to leak fuel out of the bottom breather pipe to the carburetor. It does it slightly with the engine running but then heavily when not running. I have taken the carb out and checked it over (With my limited knowledge) and am non the wiser.

It is as if the float is not rising high enough to close of the fuel supply, could this be the case? If so how do I rectify the issue/is there a quick fix. I was hoping to ride this weekend.

Your advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Russ

Post subject: Re: Leaking Carburetor - Yamaha WR 426
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:49 pm 

I don't know anything about the carbs on these bikes so this is generic advice. Buy some carb spray from your local Halfords or equivalent. Take the float bowl off the carb. Give everything a good spray. Check the action of the choke. Remove the pin that holds the floats in place - careful - lots of easy to lose bits here. Inspect the floats for damage. The floats normally have a little arm onto which the float needle is attached. The needle has a tapered end, is it worn? Spray carb cleaner into the carb body where the float needle goes in. Put it all back together and hope for the best.
You can often do this with the carb in-situ by loosening the clamps either side and swiveling the carb around so that the float bowl is facing you. This makes it a bit quicker to do.

Good luck
axa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:39 pm 
200 cc

When I come across this situation on a bike I turn the fuel off,wait until the engine falters then turn the fuel back on again.This more often or not flushes out any dirt particles that can stick on the float valve seat without having to strip the carb down.
It has been known for the float to spring a leak,so the float won't..........float.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:39 am 
125cc

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/comm ... anuals.jsp for your service manual

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:47 am 

I had this problem on my DR650 and it was a simple matter of swapping out one of the 'O' rings on the float assembly which had slightly split. From a distance the ring looked fine, but when you took it off and stretched it slightly, you could see cracks. My local bike shop had a collection of spare rings, and it was quickly resolved without having to buy the Suzuki specific item.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:31 am 
50 cc

could be the float needle and seat needs replacing...

simple test: remove float bowl, with the floats hanging in there lowest position you should be able to blow down the fuel inlet pipe (the one that comes from the fuel tank to the carb) gently lift the floats as you blow down the tube, as the floats rise it should become harder to blow until the floats reach the top of there travel where you shouldn't be able to blow at all..

hope this makes sense and helps...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:32 am 
80 cc

Hi
thanks for the reply, yes I think the carb needs a good cleaning and maybe replacements of parts. anybody know where I can order a carb repair kit from?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]