TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: kickstarting wr400, how the hell do you do it
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:59 pm 
50 cc

hi guys i'm new to trail biking and have bought a 1999 wr 400 and the guy showed m i runnin and everything but i tryed and failed miserably at it any tips for how the hell to do it cos it's soooo anyoying

Post subject: Re: kickstarting wr400, how the hell do you do it
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:33 pm 
80 cc

Hi fella.
Firstly a 400 is quite a big bike to kick so dont feel to down. On the plus side, kicking a 400 can count towards the governments 30 min daily activity.
Ok, like yourself fairly new to this stuff, and i am sure someone will be along with a better explaination, so here goes.
Dont know about your bike, so I will go through what I do to start my xr400.
I dont put my helmet on, especially if the beast is cold, as I know I will be getting very hot trying to kick the bloody thing into life.
Dont touch the throttle......
half choke......(dont know why, it just works better that way...and yes I have learnt the hard way)
rotate the kick starter till there is some proper resistance...something about compression ???????
then get the kick starter to the very top
pray to the spark plug gods and then kick
these are worth a watch....first one just made me giggle..kick..kick..kick..etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsHNrbujP8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdM4qkAqywk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDmvBhRqaKM

best of luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:27 pm 
80 cc

just been doing some searching.
How long has the bike been standing??? If its been over 2 weeks or so, then try bump starting the thing. up to 2 weeks then the fuel in the carb may be stale, drain and refill from tank. under a week then it maybe a mechanical problem. have you checked for a spark?? Is the fuel getting through?? (fuel tap) how did you get the bike home..as in could the carb have drained itself. No offence meant but is this your first bike or kick start bike?? I only ask as sometimes you do have to really kick it ...without breaking anything!!!!
let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:38 pm 
80 cc

Evening

I know where you are coming from, I brought a WR426 not long ago. Got the bike started after a demo, and rode to the nearest petrol station. Filled up and spend the next 20 minutes trying to kick tsome life into my Iron Horse! Practice does make perfect but this is what I do with my 426, so hopefully there is not too much difference. I guess that you have a decompression lever in any case.

From Cold or hot I do the same, only very rarley do I actually apply the choke but always worth a try from cold. I have never needed to use the hot start, even after dropping it during some 'spirited' riding on the lanes.

- keep the bike on the stand and mount your steed (This is much easier than holding the bikes weight yourself). Both feet on the pegs, and get that kick start out
- hold in the decompression lever fully and do 2 full strokes on the kick start
- Release the De comp lever
- Push down on the kick start until there is some pressure (Should be about 1/4 - 1/3 through the stroke)
- Pull in the De Com Lever and just feather the kick start 'over' the pressure zone, which should be about a further 10-15 degrees of movement. You should get the feel for that.
- Then let go of the de com lever, and use your weight and leg to kick the bike over
- As per the chap with the XR, never add and throttle and when it does start let it idle for a few seconds before adding any revs. never do the race throttle blipping it will stall doing that when first started.

If it does not start first time, mine always goes on the second round of this..........third at very worst.

If hot sometimes just kicking the kick start through a couple of times until the compression is too much, then use the decompression lever to get over the 10-15 degrees as mentioned above, then kick some life into her as per the second to last step above.

Good luck, it is a feel thing and will come with time. For me after 3-4 rides.

Hope that this helps.

Russ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:28 pm 
50 cc

woooo i can get it running now second kick easy last post was the beasty that worked. all i need now is my insurance cert threw and i can go green laning. and to the previous question first kickstart bike my last was a zx7r so riding this is in no way shape or form related to how you ride a road bike, bejesus it feels weird

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]