TRF Forums

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fogging goggles and glasses!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:41 pm 
125cc

I ride trails, rallies and have just done my first enduro, however my biggest problem is my glasses and goggles misting/fogging.
I have tried one product called cat crap which works for a short period or until the going gets really hard, then my glasses and goggle sjust mist up the same.
I have fitted a quick strap system to my helmet, which allows me to quickly move my goggles off my glasses and face, however , the goggles get muck and insects in them and your vison is then obscured when you put your goggles back on.
Am I just lumbered with having to stop and wipe em with a rag or is thier a product that really works??
Does anyone know if you can purchase anti fog glasses??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Coops

Post subject: Re: Fogging goggles and glasses!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:13 pm 
400 cc

I feel a sense of de ja vue here! I'm sure I had this conversation with Womble a while ago :?

Still, I suffered like that for a while until I discovered contact lenses. Unless you have a particular eye complaint that prevents this then they are without doubt the best possible answer because you will find that it is almost never the goggles that are misting up but your glasses.

Otherwise, I found that washing up liquid smeared very thin on the lense worked as well as any expensive anti mist product.

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:27 pm 
200 cc

I second the contact lense suggestion.

I have recently had a consultation witn my optician about having the daily disposable type lenses and have now ridden with them in them twice and found them to be spot on.

Look into it its not cheap but will solve your misting problem. ;)

Richard Sugden wrote:
I feel a sense of de ja vue here! I'm sure I had this conversation with Womble a while ago :?

Still, I suffered like that for a while until I discovered contact lenses. Unless you have a particular eye complaint that prevents this then they are without doubt the best possible answer because you will find that it is almost never the goggles that are misting up but your glasses.

Otherwise, I found that washing up liquid smeared very thin on the lense worked as well as any expensive anti mist product.

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:39 am 
125cc

I will look into the contact lens option, apart from the expense and issue of my eyes been well buggered, the other issue I thought you may get with contacts is dirt behind them, however I guess I can put that fear to bed!!

Cheers Coops :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:08 pm 
300 cc

Buy an 'off-road' helmet with a visor. The better quality the better. I wear glasses and use an Arai Tour-X, I just can't fault it: 4 years old, used for trail riding in all weathers and conditions as well as an overland trip to Morrocco, removable lining, high quality etc etc. So far I have not had to replace the visor - visibility still good even at night (hardly scratched). It originally cost me £380 but it was worth every penny (no I don't work for Arai!).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:43 pm 
650 cc Monster

steve cartwright wrote:
Buy an 'off-road' helmet with a visor. The better quality the better. I wear glasses and use an Arai Tour-X, I just can't fault it: 4 years old, used for trail riding in all weathers and conditions as well as an overland trip to Morrocco, removable lining, high quality etc etc. So far I have not had to replace the visor - visibility still good even at night (hardly scratched). It originally cost me £380 but it was worth every penny (no I don't work for Arai!).

I have just bought an Airoh S4 for £100 from Dirtbikexpress and from my limited use I have been very impressed with the visor.
I used one all day on the Desert Rose day and my own one for about 5 hours trailing on Monday so that isn't the longest trial and not in the wet yet but it can't be worse than glasses and goggles.
I don't wear glasses but equally don't like the intrusion of goggles and the visor idea works well so far.
You can flick it half up so you still get a bit of protection but some fresh and I have only had a fleeting misting when you stop moving but hat seems to clear quickly or a quick flip solves it.

Might be worth seeing if you can try one somewhere (probably not that easy to be honest) or even try your road helmet if you have one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:48 pm 
400 cc

Regarding the option of contact lenses, yes obviously there is an expense regarding the consultation with an optician but after that it's pretty cheap (and if you already wear glasses then you will probably already have fairly regular eye tests etc).

A single pair of daily disposable lenses cost about £1 which is quite expensive if you wear them every day but why would you?

If you already wear glasses normally (to drive or whatever) then carry on just pop in a pair of lenses when you go out on the bike. As for dust, all I can say is that this has never been a problem for me.

I wear glasses all the time usually but would never go back to riding in them by choice.

Not ever!

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:24 pm 
650 cc Monster

My wife used to have to have hard lenses and she really struggled with dust in everyday life.
She is now on monthly softer ones and doesn't seem to have any problems now.

If they are only for occasional use then the daily ones are ideal i would think.

To be honest, you wouldn't get within 50 miles of getting lenses in my eyes.
I struggled with just using eye drops after ops on both eyes last winter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:58 pm 
80 cc

Contact lenses are good if you are fairly young, but older people may find their tear ducts are too dry to wear lenses. I had to stop wearing them for that reason.

Another draw back to lenses is that you can't rub your eye if you get dust/dirt in it without usually loosing the lenses, that was my experience anyway.

I use "Bob Heath visors antifog" on both my glasses and goggles before an event and ride fog free throughout.

hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:02 pm 
125cc

Cheers for all the advice, I think I might look further into the contact lens option.
I had a shoei hornet helmet with visor, but stupidly left it on the end of my bars in windy conditions, the bike blew over and demolished £300.00 of helmet in one go!! So as much as I would like to buy another one, for now it has to be a cheapish one, which has the hell knocked out of it whislt falling off during several rallies and enduros this year (I am not the best rider and yes I do ride beyond my ability in competitions!!).
I have just ordered a laminated enduro lens for my oakley goggles which has holes in the top protected by foam and I am going to try the old Bob Heath gear, used to use it years ago and forgot it even existed.
Fitted a quick strap system to my helmet and can really recommend it, just don't leave your goggles on top of your helmet for long if you have a rip n roll system, a branch fancied mine and ripped most of the rip'n'roll system off!! Back to the old cloth stuffed behind the light system now.

Cheers Coops

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next