TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Advice wanted
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:57 pm 
50 cc

Hi All
I’ve been doing a small amount of offroading for about 12 months, but I also use my bike most days to get to work as well as weekend trips carrying kit. At present I use a Yamaha XTZ660, it’s a great bike but not being very skilled off road I’m finding it very heavy in the mud and having to lift it really is a pain.

I’d have been fine but my wife now rides a 250 Serow and ploughs through stuff I find troublesome. So I’m looking for possible alternatives without spending much. I still want a bike to go to work and that can carry panniers but one that if a little easier to handle off road and can be picked up far easier.

Any suggestions?
NickG

Post subject: Re: Advice wanted
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:14 pm 
400 cc

A later model TTR 250 should be fine for your needs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:23 pm 
80 cc

Would it not be better to spend less getting your skill level higher than buying another bike? if the one you have works well for everything else you woudl need to look at the amount of time you spend off roading. if you only do it a little bit then getting some training to give you more ability with the machine you have might be a solution.

If you do lots of off road it would be better to get a bike which is designed for it, and keep your other one for road work and luggage transporting. The truth is a solution has never been found to your issue and many have tried. An off road bike with off road tyres is just not practical for the road, as the tyres wont last, and bringing luggage and stuff on an off off road bike is not really going to happen.

Having an offroad bike with a second set of rims to turn it in to supermoto is a great way to solve some of the issue, but again bringing panniers on an off road bike is never going to be practical .

do you need to sell your bike or is getting a second bike possible? that would be much easier as you could just get a cheap off roader which solves the problem.

OR,

it is possible that your wife is just better at off road stuff than you, it would be foolish not to consider that point before spending money on a bike at all!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 am 
80 cc

i would look at either the suzuki drz400s or e model. good alrounder, good road maners for a traily and road bike servicing intervals. bullet proof engine to boot. if your a litle short in the leg then a set of lowering links can be fitted easily.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:27 am 
I am just in the process of getting my DRZ400s up for sale.... PM me if you want the details :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:53 pm 
50 cc

Sometimes the truth hurts. Yep I think the problem lies in the simple fact that my wife is better off road than I am.

I’m not able to have 2 bikes so as suggested some lessons seem to be the best option before thinking about any changes. I’d looked at the DR but found the seat narrow.

Many thanks

Nick G

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]