TRF Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Road legal Tyres
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:27 pm 
80 cc

Hi

Relativley new to this trail riding and Green laning (No competetion riding, just leisure), but have a Yamaha WR426 and would like some advice in Tyres. Would like to know what are the best and Road leagal ones to buy/What does every body use?

Front and Rear

Does the rear need to be a hard compound so that the road work does not wear the tyre down to fast/is there a happy medium somewhere to be found.

Thanks for your help

Russ

Post subject: Re: Road legal Tyres
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:33 pm 
80 cc

Sorry forgot to say the current tyres fitted are

Front (Mich Pilot Sport)
120 60 ZR17
Rear (Mich Pilot Sport)
150 60 ZR17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:57 pm 
300 cc

? I take it the bike has SM wheels on at the moment ;)

Are you after SM tyres or a set of off road/road legal tyres.. in that case do you have the 19 front and 18 rear wheels for off road use?

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:46 am 
80 cc

Yep Sorry I gave the SM tyre sizes, I do howver have some old MX tyres fitted but need replacements. The sizes on the tyre wall are as follows.

Front - 90-90-21
Rear 4 -50 -18 (MT16)

Hope that this helps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:52 pm 
80 cc

i am running Mitas co2 tires on my dr650 and xlr250

really really impressed loads grip on the non tarmac stuff not bad on the tarmac either, nice big knobbles

seem to be getting good mileage and not a bad price £44 for the rears £33 for the fronts

hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:26 am 
80 cc

Great Thanks.............any recomendations on where to get them from?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:01 am 
400 cc

Mitas Co2 are very popular but another option for true on/off road tyres is Pirelli MT21s.

These work better in rocks/gravel/sand or any other hard surface than they do in really slippery mud but they are still OK in those conditions.

To be honest though you will never find a tyre that is fantastic on all surfaces it just isn't possible. You need to make a judgement about where you ride and how often.

If your riding involves a lot of tarmac (whether thats riding distances to get to lanes or commuting to work every day) then go for a trail tyre like the Pirelli mentioned. it will last a hell of a lot longer than a more agressive "off road" type.

On the other hand, if you only ride occasionally, don't do many road miles, trailer your bike everywhere and ride a lot of very slippery, muddy lanes then perhaps a more aggresive competition tyre is a better bet (still road legal though obviously).

Alternatively you could do what I've been doing for a couple of years now and mix and match. I generally run a Bridgestone "GRITTY" ED661 road legal enduro tyre ont he front and a pirelli MT21 trail tyre on the rear. Perfect combo! Great grip and directional stability off tarmac at the front but vastly better wear rate and on tarmac stability at the back.

Weird but it works for me 8-). i ride a DRZ400E and like to ride to the trails rather than trailer by the way.

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:20 am 
80 cc

;) every one has their own best combination, and Richard is correct when he looks at whether you are riding a lot of tarmac or none.

My current preference is AC10 on the front and a trials tyre on the rear, great for most unsurfaced routes but a little wobbely on tarmac and supprisingly good in the wet and mud, but then I am a little strange :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:47 pm 
125cc

I use Mitas front and rear on my WR450 and am very happy with them.

Not the grippiest road tyre but adequate IMO. Off road they're awesome and I think they last at least twice as long as the more expensive road legal knobblies.

£35 for a rear and £29 for a front from East Midlands TRF (you have to pick up from the meeting)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:33 am 
80 cc

Hi John

Thanks for the reply, I see that I can get a Mitas Co2 for the rear, but what about the front? I dont seem to be able to find a mitas Co2 for 21"

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Russ

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next