TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: mobile phones with good gps ?????
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:25 am 
125cc

hello lads, im hoping someone will read this thread and give me a bit advise, im looking to buy a gps system and my head is done in due to how many diffrent ones are out there, and which one is the best for the job, i have a idea that might just save me some money and do the job as good as a gps system, im ready for a upgrade on a mobile phone and im wondering if any one has used one and if so which would be best for the job, i have memory map so would prefer one with mem map on it..could you let me no if there is a mobile phone out there with this on it , or what would be best for the job, i would really appreciate a bit advise on this one, as hopefully it would save me a bit cash.. ;) ;) ;)

Post subject: Re: mobile phones with good gps ?????
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:10 am 
300 cc

XDA Ignito, HTC Diamond, XDA Orbit etc all work well

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:36 pm 
125cc

I've heard of N95's being used.

Andy T off here or TBM Forum is your man on the N95

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:48 pm 
300 cc

Hi..

Yep..been running an e-blag special N95 with ViewRanger OS mapping thats very much like Memory map and you can swap track logs and routes between the two... N95 was a free upgrade to a HG3 customer and he didnt want the new phone (too complicated for him) and he sold it..

I've since been upgraded myself to an N96 thats even better... Only issue for some is the small screen..large for a phone but small for those used to big GPS screens..but it's similar in size to many bespoke GPS units...

ViewRanger will work with symbian phones (operating system) most Nokias and a few other makes..check their web site viewranger.com for a full list of available phones.. you DONT NEED and built in GPS either as you can get excellent blue tooth GPS receivers (Holox54 from e-blag for £24!) that work with the phone and are often quicker to start and more accurate... I got a bigger battery, from e-blag again, and it will work OK for about 8 hrs.. I'm part way through a report for the Somerset Group and I'll put it on the web site when done.

Interestingly the phone will also run normal SatNav (Garmin XT) with the same route files...so you can navigate by road to the lane, switch to OS on the lane and back again at the other end to take you onto the next lane.. Both programs share the info from the GPS and run at the same time so switching can be by pre programmed button, easy peasy...err well it will be when I've worked it all out...

Also for those who dont like a small screen..the good thing about the Nokia and the Windows Mobile phones is that they have AV out... meant so you can see the ph9one screen on the TV but you could also plug it into a bigger 7 inch screen if you wish.. You just have to work out how to feed power to it.. another thing I’m working on… and I have a lighter socket fitted on a protected circuit to power the phone & Archos Helmet Cam.. just need to find a suitable screen and see if there is enough juice to power all three…

The other way to go is to get a smart phone that runs Windows Mobile... these are essentially PDA's and they will run MemoryMap and the software is already included on your MemoryMap DVD/CD... I'm awaiting a new work phone..Samsung Omina that has built in GPS, 8Mp camera, Runs windows mobile and enough memory for the whole of the UK on OS Memory Mapping... (Can be had for about £25 per month with T-Mobile Business.. drop me a PM and I'll get a contact for you...)

Ideal phone would be one of the HTC range.. but they are expensive…

But on a new route it’s always worth having a proper map as well…. Tech is prone to failing just at the time you need it most
:?

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:16 am 
125cc

:D cheers for all that lads, really app it, think ill have a good read up and make my choice.. thanks alot for your info tho fellas...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:15 pm 
650 cc Monster

However, all this sounds good until you realise that mobile phones are NOT waterproof.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:04 pm 
300 cc

No they usually are not...

BUT dont let that stop you mounting it properly on the bike with a proper job waterproof and fall over proof otterbox... ;)

Like I mentioned I'm looking to mount the phone with back up battery pack for a whole days ride and the Archos Av405 recording unit for the helmet cam.. But the Archos is so small it can be worn in a bag inside the jacket but the phone will go on the bars..

The box has glands for water proof charging cable, bar mounts, foam anti vibration and shock proofing and is rain and water proof for a drop in big puddles.. I might take it out of the box for water crossings however but the box is easy to open and the phone just pops in..

With the new Samsung Omina touch phone running windows mobile and Memory Map it will work through the soft top cover of the box..

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:35 pm 
125cc

ive just been trying to find that phone on the vodaphone website but with no joy, how much is the mounting kit and the waterproof kit, looks like a cracking set up once you get all the gear and i agree, just take it out of thr cradle when crossing a river/stream, just incase, ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]