TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Changes to the lanes in Wales from 2008 - 2009?!?!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:05 pm 
80 cc

This time last year I had an excellent trip to Wales riding the plethora of byways and minor roads. Im concerned after reading a few articles saying that various council/gov/environment agency legislations have now been pressed onto all but the clearly defined BOATS in Wales. Ive been led to believe that last year the use of UCRs/RUPPs was a grey area but now vehicular rights on all these have been quashed and can no longer safely be ridden without fear of prosecution.

Can anyone give an update of lane usage in Wales? (My main concerns are routes such as Strata Florida that are not marked on OS Maps as BOATS but instead have a classification of 'Route with Other Public Access')

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks ;)

Post subject: Re: Changes to the lanes in Wales from 2008 - 2009?!?!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:23 pm 
80 cc

try www.trailwise.org.uk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:14 pm 

Domsday wrote:

And you get a full membership to Trailwise as a TRF member.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:19 am 
400 cc

As far as I'm aware Strata Florida is a BOAT although part of it might be shown on the map as ORPA.

I'm sure that it is still legal though because I know that certain people from GLASS have been down there with the Police recently looking at ways of controlling the idiots who leave the route to mess about in the scenery.

The routes to watch in Wales are the ones that were RUPPS or which were used but never recorded as anything.

This would include lanes like The Gap Road and a large part of Sarn Helen.

Of course these routes might still be legal, there are exemptions in NERC and some people argue quite persuasively that the Gap and Sarn Helen qualify for such exemptions but to the best of my knowledge this hasn't been tested so using them would involve some risk.

Still, if you are a TRF member you can get more detailed advice on the members part of the forum.

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:00 am 
80 cc

Thanks for the replies, ive been using trailwise for sometime and am an active TRF member, it would seem there are still grey areas so i'll take heed of the signage when I get there and try to abide as best I can :?

When i was there last year there was a TRO to what on paper looks like an absolutely amazing trail 'Monks Trod, Clawdd-du-bach', does anyone know anything about that or if it’s still off limits to bikes?... Also Sarn Helen, from what ive read the seasonal TRO comes in effect August bank holiday weekend so I’ll be there before then but assume i can only ride the part marked on an OS map as a BOAT (not the restricted byway part) or are there exceptions to this and that parts of the restricted byway are rideable by two wheels? Again, any advice much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:24 am 
650 cc Monster

For the time and cost of getting to wales from sussex you could hop over to dieppe from newhaven and have miles of great trail riding

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:30 pm 
650 cc Monster

How do we get information about where to ride in Dieppe? This sounds interesting.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]