TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Serow 250 Tyre Replacement
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:35 am 
50 cc

Hi
Does anyone have any advice on which tyres to fit on my 250 Serow to replace the Bridgestone Trailwings (120/80-18 rear and 2.75-21 front ) that come fitted as standard to the bike.
I am a newbie to trail riding and know very little about trail tyres such as tread patterns and who’s makes are considered to be good and which makes to avoid. I ride with the west york’s trf but when encountering the muddy section here in sunny Yorkshire I am finding the trailwings lacking a little, so any suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers
Phil

Post subject: Re: Serow 250 Tyre Replacement
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:44 pm 
200 cc

There are tyres that are ideal for 50% on tarmac/50% off tarmac...then there are those which are 20/80...and others which are 5/95.

I used to use Pirelli MT21 on my old XR400 until more suitable tyres became available for enduro/sportsman class. But if you want reasonable tyre wear, good grip on tarmac and are easy to fit, these are recommended.
If you have a look in mags like TBM there are various places selling these tyres at a good price ie. Watling Tyres, that also mail-order.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:39 am 
80 cc

Hi Phil

Adam here (SRL). Seen the post on the WYTRF site. Was waiting to see what size tyres you had. As StuB suggests, Michelin AC10's are awesome tyres. Road legal - good on road & good off road. You'll get 1500 - 2000 miles on a pair. They cost about £110 - £120 fitted (Woosters, York Rd., Leeds)

Get in touch on the WY site if you need more info.

PS Thanks for the coffess on Saturday - it was soooooooo good, having something hot after the soaking we got

Cheers

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:50 am 
400 cc

A lot of lads are going with the MITAS CO2 just now as they are great in the mud, decent on road and last for ages. Also, as a fellow Yorkshireman you will appreciate the fact that they're cheap too ;)

Just as a quick aside, my mate went into his local motorcycle shop and said " I want a MITAS CO2 rear tyre for a Yamaha Serow" and the chap behind the counter said "Well it seems like a fair swap"
:D

;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:52 am 
125cc

I put AC10s on my 225 Serow and they're brilliant in slippery conditions (wet grass, mud, sand). However, they are a bit too big for the swinging arm and they have rubbed some of the paint off. As with any knobbly tyre, ride with extremem caution on tarmac in the wet.

Polly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:57 pm 
80 cc

I have used Bridgstone gritties on my Serow for several years, they wear reasonably well and I have found them good in all conditions, they also leave a reasonable gap between the swing arm and the tyre.

The Serow swing arm leaves little room for the more agressive tyre treads, probably being a purpose built "trail Bike"it was not expected to be shod with larger knobblies.

There is one fairly easy mod that can be made to the swing arm,
there is a 1/4 inch weld that protudes on the inside of the swing arm and rubs at the tyre. I ground the weld away to make it flush, then had the swing arm powder coated. Not only did it help considerably, the swing arm looked really nice in fresh silver powdercoating.

Structually it seems just as strong as before the mod, it has been good for the past two years so far.

As I was riding the Chiltern Hills enduro series at the time and wanted to use Trials tyres which are higher profile than some knoblies this mod made it possible to run a trials tyre without a problem.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]