TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Goggles and glasses
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:08 am 

I wear glasses and I'm getting fed up with wearing goggles over the top. Not only is the peripheral view restricted (I lost a F*****g campervan in the blindspot the other weekend :shock: ) but everything mists up with the slightest provocation. I tried buying a Quickstrap, but that makes life worse - I can put normal goggles on while riding, but with the Quickstrap, the goggles just flap around behind my lid, bashing me on the head :roll:

I'd love a pair of prescription goggles, but the ones I've seen are just normal goggles with a carrier inside for prescription lenses, so if they mist up, I'd be worse off as taking the goggles off isn't an option.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Goggles and glasses
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:21 am 
125cc

I prefer to wear safety glasses rather than goggles. I find they offer as much protection (trail riding) and are less prone to mist.

Perhaps you could try some prescription safety glasses?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:06 am 
300 cc

I gave up wearing goggles over my specs. years ago. I use an Arai Tour X helmet with visor - loads better. Not good for enduros etc but I don't compete. There are other visor type helmets like this available now, but Arai had the best fit (and the highest price!!!).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:22 pm 
400 cc

Two words mate,

CONTACT and LENSES

Now I know what your going to say ;) You've tried em and you don't like em, there too expensive etc but to be honest (assuming your vision can be corrected by lenses) this is by far the best option.

I struggled for a couple of years with glasses under goggles and then decided that I just couldn't tolerate it anymore.

Contacts do take a bit of getting used to but the daily disposable ones are only about a quid a pair. You only have to wear them while your riding if you want and if you do you will discover that it was almost never your goggles that were steaming up but your glasses.

Ohh and they eliminate the peripheral vision problem as well, obviously.

Otherwise I suppose there is always lazer surgery ;)

Really though unless you have some bizare eye condition that prevents you I would try contact lenses. They are THE solution. I will never willingly go back to wearing glasses to ride in.

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:05 pm 

Some excellent answers, guys.

I like the safety specs idea, and prescription specs are surprisingly cheap in these days of the Internet. I may follow that one up later.

Contact lenses - I have some daily disposables that I had hoped to use on the bike, but I have 2 problems. The first is I have lower than average tear production, so the sods dry out at a moment's notice and start trying to fall out. The second problem is that I'm starting to need varifocals - the last time I used my lenses, I was doing some close-up work on the bike and I found myself trying to look under the rims for a better view. Needless to say, that doesn't too work well with contacts ;)

However, the embarrassing fact is that I've actually got a visor for my offroad lid (HJC CLXS), but I didn't get on with it for road riding and had dumped it in a corner of the garage. I dug it out at lunchtime, and I'll give it a go at the weekend :)

Last edited by Womble on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:07 pm 
80 cc

Womble wrote:

However, the embarrassing fact is that I've actually got a visor for my offroad lid (HJC CLXS), but I didn't get on with it for road riding and had dumped it in a corner of the garage. I dug it out at lunchtime, and I'll give it a go at the weekend :)

I was wearing the same Helmet as you on Sunday's rideout...but with the visor still on and I've found it to be fine even with sunglasses underneath with no fogging.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:35 pm 

Yeah, it took me a bit by surprise when I realised that the lid under the orange flashes was the same as mine.

It's funny, I'd always assumed that the thing to wear offroad was goggles, but a lot of people do seem to be using visors, so it's obviously worth a try.

How do you find it on dusty tracks when you're following other bikes? I'd have thought that the dust would work its way up inside the lid, but then again I can always leave the goggles on the back of the lid, just in case - that at least is an advantage with the Quickstrap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:26 pm 
80 cc

Womble wrote:
How do you find it on dusty tracks when you're following other bikes? .

Why follow when you can lead? ;)

all kidding aside I've not found it to be a problem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:40 pm 

SignXman wrote:
Why follow when you can lead? ;)

As the biggest novice in the Suffolk group, somehow, I still seem to be leading the most rides. I think it's something to do with GPS ;).

But you're right, I never seem to need goggles when I'm leading :D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:23 am 
125cc

You can find over the glasses (OTG) goggles with plain lenses. I also find that the reactor lights are deep enough for over the glasses. I use Bob Heath visor spray on glasses and goggles to avoid fogging. I quick lift of the goggles when you move off usually clears any fog.

Whatever you do, always wear eye protection when you're riding along or anyone else passes you at more than walking pace.

Polly

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next