TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: '14 690 enduro throttle response horrible
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 am 
650 cc Monster

Thanks John - interesting stuff.

I will look into the restriction thingy.
for me, there is enough power in the lower gears if the damn thing didn't have this fluff area.

Before the sag was done it would hop the back wheel over even a small tree root or large pebble and I was thinking I had made a big mistake buying the bike.
I wouldn't have lasted an hour in Wales with it like that. The previous owner apparently was 15 stone and carried a passenger so just wound the static sag up to 7mm instead of the proper 18mm. The transformation was massive and, with my limited ability, enough to make the bike ok for the weekend. Normally it won't matter on local lanes as we don't have the rocky stuff. I didn't feel it needed more 'bounce'

I'll try a tad more wind off the damping and rebound settings though. Even I can cope with that ;)

A thought I had during the night.....when doing the decent thing and running a higher gear at low revs, it is also feels like the throttle won't stay stable.
Again, this could be the TPS so, once I've washed the bike off, that is the first easy fix.

As best as I can find, 15/45 is standard so 15/48 is just adding 3 teeth to the rear (a bit less than one off the front? but better for the chain obviously).
6th is plenty high enough so a drop probably wouldn't be the end of the world for the riding I now do. I'll ponder that one as it's not specific to my current problem but looks a worthwhile tweak.
I tried it on my old WR450 and didn't like it as it seemed wrong in every gear.

EDIT: Is there any reason why I shouldn't go to a 14/45 instead as it would be cheaper and easier? Some guys on ABR seem to have gone that route.
My riding will be usual trail riding locally or road rides also locally, maybe up to 100 to 150 miles - all on the MT21's which are good fun on the road.
I'm not going to get into wheel swaps as I wouldn't bother after the first time. I am happy with full time knobblies even if they cost me more to run.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:05 pm 
650 cc Monster

jonpaul1st wrote:
Lower gearing helps a lot with the trickier stuff. You can roll on and off the throttle in situations where you'd othrwise need to dip the clutch.

The earlier 690's have a restriction which reduces power in the lower gears. Lots on the net about it. Don't know if this applies to later bikes.

Suspension - try taking off the compression more than comfort settings. Again, this makes a big difference on the tricky stuff, especially rocky going.

Fair enough...not on my bike and the gearing is as it came out of the shop.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:46 pm 
650 cc Monster

I have reset the TPS with the standard method and will do the ECU(?) reset of a cold start with 15 minute tickover after I have washed the now very smelly bike off later this afternoon.

If that doesn't fix it, and even if it has, I may get a dealer to run a check on it to make sure it has all the correct mapping for the Akra as well.

Not keen on even considering any other changes at least until I've ironed out this throttle issue - which seems very prevalent from internet searches.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:32 pm 
650 cc Monster

The bike now smells better after it's wash and I carried out the 15 minute reset and, from a few minutes ride round and round the garden, it does seem better and I can pull away on a wisp of throttle.
I might get a ride over the next few days but, if not, I am doing a horse trial on Monday so that will be a good tester.

Thanks for all the advice - let's hope that it cured.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2