TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bring Back the TRF Annual Membership Plastic Card
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 am 
650 cc Monster

I think it has been a valuable discussion as it has brought the dated card and sticker back into the thought process.

An organisation as big as the Royal Horticultural Society have a thin plasticised peel off 'paper card' and that works fine.
I don't see a TRF card being used so much that it would disintegrate and if it gets wet, you need a new jacket ;) :D

Is a thick wodge of plastic environmentally acceptable?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:50 am 
650 cc Monster

The level of cost is not relevant to the question of whether every member should be provided with an Annual Membership Card. The question is as to whether every member needs/wants and would value a card.

If it is an avoidable cost to deliver something that is not valued by the person receiving it, the cost should be avoided and better spent elsewhere.

At present we have an opt in system for membership cards. The uptake of that is not high. This suggests that the vast majority of members don't need/want/value having a plastic membership card. On that basis I would currently find it challenging to justify expenditure on providing every member with an annual membership card. It is apparent that the majority do not value this sufficiently to make the minimal effort to avail themselves of cards currently available.

It is important to provide cards for the minority of members that want them, though that need not be done on an annual basis.

As a means for providing ID and confirmation of membership status for events/discounts/AGM's etc, annual membership cards aren't necessary or especially the best means available.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:06 am 
650 cc Monster

I quote this from the TRF Code of Conduct:

"Carry your membership card with you when trail riding, so that you may identify yourself as a current member of the TRF - and display a current membership sticker."

So far as I know, the CoC is embedded in the Constitution of the TRF.

The TRF is therefore obliged to provide its members with a dated sticker and membership card, irrespective of anyone's personal opinion on the matter.

If anyone, a director or otherwise, thinks this provision of the CoC needs to be changed then my understanding is that the suggested change has to be put to members at a general meeting and approved before it can be implemented.

As pointed out above, the lack of a membership card could prevent members from accessing the full benefits of TRF membership. This matter should be rectified as soon as possible, otherwise we risk a 'storm in a teacup' that will deflect the directors' attenton from more important matters.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:42 am 
650 cc Monster

Richard and I believe we are in agreement here.

As has been mentioned a card and sticker is provided to all of the members requesting it.

Meanwhile the Membership Director looks forward to receiving the feedback to the consultation process dent to your Group Chair.

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 am 

I fear most are not aware of the opt in system
Also with direct debit for auto renewal also may not allow options.
I opted in as I value it, but as others say it just says a member since date, so like the stickers a card for life unless I lose it which defeats the point if having a card to show you are a current member.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:10 am 
650 cc Monster

Thank you Red for your comments and again may I suggest you pass them onto your Group Chair for action in the consultation process initiated by the Membership Director.

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am 
650 cc Monster

Richard Simpson wrote:
I quote this from the TRF Code of Conduct:

"Carry your membership card with you when trail riding, so that you may identify yourself as a current member of the TRF - and display a current membership sticker."

So far as I know, the CoC is embedded in the Constitution of the TRF.

The TRF is therefore obliged to provide its members with a dated sticker and membership card, irrespective of anyone's personal opinion on the matter.

If anyone, a director or otherwise, thinks this provision of the CoC needs to be changed then my understanding is that the suggested change has to be put to members at a general meeting and approved before it can be implemented.

As pointed out above, the lack of a membership card could prevent members from accessing the full benefits of TRF membership. This matter should be rectified as soon as possible, otherwise we risk a 'storm in a teacup' that will deflect the directors' attenton from more important matters.

I would urge caution about reading things into the CoC that aren't there, or which are unclear.

The TRF does provide for members to "identify yourself" - this is the CoC requirement that precedes the subsequent guidance as to how this may be achieved.
There is no requirement for a "dated" sticker or card.
TRF meets its obligations in respect of cards/stickers.

We can't change the requirement to carry a card and display a sticker because it is unclear as to whether this is an absolute requirement of the CoC. I very much doubt that compelling the displaying of stickers and carrying of TRF cards is what the membership had in mind when approving the CoC.

Given that TRF already meets its obligations in respect of cards/stickers, the CoC doesn't give additional leverage to those seeking to make the obligations more onerous on TRF (and its members) than they need to be.

The matter of reviewing the CoC has been put to the membership who approved its being reviewed at the Oct 2015 AGM. Our CoC is therefore under review as per the members wishes. The resolution approved a principle for review that the CoC should seek to provide rules that responsible trailriders want, as opposed to imposing rules that a minority think they should have.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 am 

mario.costasa wrote:
Thanks you Red for your comments and again may I suggest you pass them onto your Group Chair for action in the consultation process initiated by the Membership Director.

I trust they will be viewing this forum, well not the Group Chairperson, but you are already in conact so keep it simple for now.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 pm 
650 cc Monster

Is perfectly clear and unambiguous in its meaning to anyone of normal intelligence.

It means:

"Carry your membership card with you when trail riding."

So you should carry your card, to allow you to:

"identify yourself as a current member of the TRF."

Easy.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 pm 
650 cc Monster

Richard Simpson wrote:

Is perfectly clear and unambiguous in its meaning to anyone of normal intelligence.

It means:

"Carry your membership card with you when trail riding."

So you should carry your card, to allow you to:

"identify yourself as a current member of the TRF."

Easy.

Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding the guidance which accompanies the requirement element of the CoC.

I shall ensure that your opinion is conveyed to the board.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next