TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Weird goings on - DRZ sump bolt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:13 pm 
300 cc

Are you sure it's deffo a left hand thread. The picture looks like a standard sump bolt. (All be it in need of a good clean before it's even undone again.) it is the right size head and has the flange for the crush washer. Even if you had a left hand bolt I doubt it would have the flat for the crush washer. Let's face it 1) who has a left hand thread bolt lying around anyway to effect such a bodge, 2) if you're going to the hassle of tapping it to suit a left hand bolt why not do it for a right hand one,

And what Hugh says, if you don't tell the dealer you think it's left handed and they strip it, that's not really being fair. But TBH stripped bolts or sheared bolts are not the responsibility of the mechanic.

Take any bike or car to a garage, if a bolt snaps or strips, it'll be you paying the bill for them sort it. It's not they're responsibility for it snapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:13 pm 
80 cc

Teabag, are you really really sure it is a left hand thread and not just that the bolt is upside down??, as Hugh mentioned, the only place there is need for a left hand thread is when its on a rotating part where the direction of rotation might loosen a right hand threaded fastener.

(Hugh, just one correction: tapping from the inside out wont change a thread from right handed to left handed, it makes no difference.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 am 
80 cc

I'm just going to get it drilled, re tapped the right way and a slightly bigger bolt put in.

I can do that myself so it will waste me about half an hour but there you go.

Problem solved.

My guess is that the previous owner stripped the thread, then retapped it the wrong way and just used a left handed bolt.

It's an old bike and has 8 previous owners so seems plausible. Almost.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:32 am 
125cc

But if it works ok. I.e. Doesn't leak, why bother ? It's a lot of work your going to, a lot of swarf around places you don't really want them to be..you know it's a left hand thread that's all that matters...just go out and ride your bike...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 am 
300 cc

I was gonna say exactly the same woody.

If it ain't broke it don't need fixing.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:00 am 
80 cc

Sorry but I CANNOT believe that this is a left hand thread! As has been pointed out already this looks like a standard drain plug which has a right hand thread. When the bolt is being taken out it will rotate in an anticlockwise direction when looking at the bolt head. HOWEVER unless you are lying on the floor looking up then you will be looking DOWN at the bolt and the spanner will be moving in a CLOCKWISE direction!
It is not possible to tap a left hand thread into an existing right hand thread of the same size. So unless someone has tapped an oversize left hand thread into your case and found a left hand bolt with with the same size flanged head as standard then it IS right hand.
I've been mechanicing/fitting/engineering for over 40 years and I can't remember ever seeing a left hand drain plug.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2