TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adding a neutral light DRZ 400
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:03 pm 
300 cc

:lol:

Last edited by Bill_Mc on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:04 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

With respect incase you or others might not understand the system, most bikes basically have three starter isolator methods to try and stop folks starting their engines when they perhaps should not, however because the switches sometimes fail or get water logged many riders, especially trail riders, remove them.

The switches typically are found on;

1. the side-stand which prevents riders inadvertently moving off with the stand down, ready to catch the road when turning and throwing the rider off - a form of nature's natural selection process :lol:

2. there could be a small switch located into the handlebar clutch lever perch, this prevents the starter being engaged when a gear has been selected and whilst the clutch is also engaged to provide drive from the engine to the gearbox. So, by pulling in the clutch control lever you could, without the need of having to find neutral, quickly start the engine if it had stalled

Attachment:
lever switch.jpg
lever switch.jpg [ 26.44 KiB | Viewed 17634 times ]

3. plus one neutral light switch on the gearbox, this one typically earths out a neutral light circuit simply to indicate that the gearbox is in neutral, but also it might prevent the starter from being engaged when in gear on more complex systems

The gearbox might be further complicated by an actual larger switch which tells the engine control unit, ECU, which gear has been selected so that the onboard electronics can adjust ignition timing and fuelling, especially on petrol injection models.

If all that you want is a neutral 'light' then if the original wiring has been modified by a previous owner you may need to make up a simple auxiliary circuit consisting of an ignition only fed 12v live feed; an inline 2amp fuse which connects to an led bulb and holder, lead from the bulb connects to an neutral light switch typically found near to the gearbox drive sprocket. The switch may have been disconnected but it will undoubtedly still be in place.

Attachment:
drz400 neutral switch.jpg
drz400 neutral switch.jpg [ 34.91 KiB | Viewed 17634 times ]

I hope that these comments help you but please do not hesitate to ask should you need further details and one of us will get back to you ;)

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:08 pm 
300 cc

I'd say if it's a drz s it'll have the neutral switch. If it's a drz e it won't. If it doesn't have a neutral switch then cobbling up something to work is probably more hassle than it's worth as without the neutral light switch there is no way of telling if it's in neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 pm 
80 cc

It has the neutral switch. Problem is, there are dozens of wires behind the speedo, figuring out which one is from the neutral switch is the hard bit. Wiring up a light will then be the easy bit. Better dust off my mutlimeter.

If anyone can offer any advice on how to find the neutral light switch wires I would be very greatful!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 pm 
300 cc

May help,

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/878657-drz400-e-to-s-wiring-harness-conversion-trouble-pics-included/

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:56 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings again,

So far as I can see from the wiring diagram and switch picture you are 'probably' looking for a disconnected blue coloured wire, it could be a single wire or part of a disconnected three wired connector. If you find one then using a lead fitted with a 2amp fuse earth it out and the light (if fitted and connected to the ignition) should illuminate.

The main problem for distance guidance is that there are variations on the wiring looms for the various models and model years and without knowing your exact model details and/or seeing photos of your loom it is hard for us to direct you to the exact wire/s. Does your bike actually have a neutral light fitted or are you trying to add one :?:

Do n't give up we'll get there ;)

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:05 pm 
80 cc

The picture is what I have been looking at.

I can't figure out which wire is the positive when in neutral and which is negative? I have tried with the multimeter when in neutral to get a 12v reading for the light from the light blue wire bottom right as I assume the light blue wire is connected to the neutral switch.

I thought that in neutral, key in ignition , that blue would be positive and black would be negative for the light but the multimeter still showing zero. Frustrating. Please help. Bike is 2002 DRZ 400 E.

Attachments:
wiring.jpg
wiring.jpg [ 160.68 KiB | Viewed 17588 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:22 pm 
300 cc

A

Last edited by Bill_Mc on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:40 pm 
80 cc

So if anyone could help me - the neutral light has 2 wires, obviously a positive and a negative.

Can anyone see which wires these connect to?

Next step tomorrow is to remove the tank and try to trace the wires from the neutral sensor near the gear change lever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 am 
300 cc

According to the diagrams on the thumpertalk link i posted the e loom has no provision for a neutral light so you're going to have to wire in an independent circuit.

Sent from my Archos 70b Helium using Tapatalk

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next