TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adding a neutral light DRZ 400
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:08 am 
300 cc

This all sounds like a heap of pointless work. I can see the next post being, I've shorted something out like the Ecu and now my bike won't run.

Is there any real reason why you want to have this neutral light, other than its what you're used to seeing on road bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:12 am 
80 cc

Well the bike still runs fine, I suppose I will just have to give up for now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 pm 
80 cc

In the picture you can see 3 wires which go nowhere. These must be for the idiot lights as I only have an analogue speedo.

They go into the plastic block connector and are not connected to anything.

There is orange, grey and blue.

I presume that the blue is for the neutral light, but which wire is the ground or negative?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:54 pm 
300 cc

If you have a multimeter check for continuity between those three wires an the connector for the neutral switch and the frame. Assuming the blue goes where you want may lead to smoke as you fry something.

Sent from my HS-U971 using Tapatalk

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 pm 
300 cc

Teabag_Terry wrote:
In the picture you can see 3 wires which go nowhere. These must be for the idiot lights as I only have an analogue speedo.

Why "Must" they?

Chances are they're for indicators. It's not like it's a genuine Suzuki plug and as indicators get swapped, the previous owner may have used that chockblock
If you're adamant on finding a feed for a light it'll have to be tank off, strip back the loom and trace manually from the neutral switch. The switch itself (from memory is usually the earthing point. That way you wouldn't ever have a constant live shorting out, if there was an issue with the switch). Old school bikes just had 1 wire going to neutral switch.

With a bike with side stand and clutch switches these will all go to a relay or into the ecu via the neutral light circuit. Some dr models had position sensors to retard or advance the ignition depending on what gears selected.

I'm guessing if it really was as easy as plugging a bulb into a loom and it all working then this post wouldn't have been needed or at least someone out there would have been able to advise and give a straight answer.

Is this defiantly the drz400e model. If so I thought that was the enduro model and as such didn't come with all this gubbins. It's likely if it's an e model then an aftermarket lighting loom has been piggy backed onto the basic loom of the bike.

Put it all back together and go out for a ride.

There's 1000s of these bikes out there and if the Internet and the forums have drawn blanks then it safe to say it's not doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:37 pm 
80 cc

The reasons there aren't many threads online about adding a neutral light to the DRZ is that the original dash had a neutral light on it!

I don't have the original dash, it has all been removed and I just have a basic analogue speedo. So the wires must be there somewhere, I just need to find someon who knows which one is which to add in a very basic LED to the neutral switch which is already there.

I have got a 12v light which would work perfectly, and having a neutral light would be great for me, it's just a matter of investing a bit of time to get it working. I don't see how I can fry the ECU with an LED.

Post subject: Adding a neutral light DRZ 400
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 pm 
300 cc

This is all the drz400e came with so I'm not sure what dash you're referring to. If it's was the drz400s or sm then it would have had the dash you're referring to.

Multi meters send small currents down the wires which can harm the ecu so probing the wrong lead might cause damage.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings again,

Smokinrider is perfectly correct in that making incorrect connections, no matter how brief, could seriously damage components and you would then have serious problems :!: Incorrectly wired extras can even cause the bike to go on fire so please proceed with caution.

To fit a warning light to your bike could be done but it depends upon your own expertise :idea: , finding a motorcycle knowledgeable friend or have a motorcycle shop do the job for you.

A simple extra light requires a fuse feed taken from an ignition only supplied source, a lead from the fuse to the light, a lead from the light to a switch and earthed either through the switch body - single lead or by an extra lead - two lead switch. Below is a simple circuit diagram;

Attachment:
light.jpg
light.jpg [ 8.92 KiB | Viewed 17114 times ]

It might be that if you contact your local group one of the members there might be able to guide you which would be preferable to trying to do it online.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:22 pm 
80 cc

Bill Mc messaged me but I cant reply, can you email me on pr9spk@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:18 am 
650 cc Monster

Ain't posted in here for a bit....but some things are worth it...if you let the clutch out slightly and the bike moves forward...you are in gear,if it doesn't , you are in neutral...knock the gear lever all the way down,then one up, that's neutral...now get in with your life...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next