TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Member - Wales / Strata Florida ride
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:45 am 
300 cc

Ok stand corrected. Thought you meant non sharing of routes within the trf. That's one reason why me and others are sceptical about sharing them. Give it to one, they pass it to others and before you know it your local lanes a race track.

I've tried for years to encourage my riding buddies to join, normally the response is " we don't need to, you're in the trf and know where to go!" Misconception that the trf is solely about knowing where to ride and not about all the other hard work members do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:17 pm 
300 cc

palmermj0 wrote:
I am still having trouble locating a map/gpx of a good route in south wales. Most of the routes I find online are 60% road.

I'm looking for a local expert who can help.

Thanks

Well, ye can try contacting our chairman Gray on here, he is ex-s.wales TRF and has got quite a few on his laptop, all depends whether he reads here now.
Sorry for hijacking your original post :? . I have not got as far as S Wales on the Quad.
Alternatively, Marianne in mid wales TRF is a good contact but I don't think she reads here either.
could try LLanerchindda Farm to pick their brains too (might be the same person)
Good luck amigo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:56 pm 
650 cc Monster

http://trailrides-wales.com/

Whilst I am happy to share gpx where appropriate and of course through Viewranger, from my experience of riding Strata Florida & other routes in the area - I would not even think of doing them off gpx without a local guide.

I understand a non local group had to be rescued from Strata Florida by the police at night after drowning some bikes.

My guide once turned us around mid trail as he said the water was too deep and that was in July. He took us back the next day and we did it successfully.

That sort of knowledge (water depth & flow) is not on a GPX.

I believe as as TRF group you could ask Marianne or the local group to recommend a local guide on a expenses basis. I understand at least one other TRF group are taking this route - with teh local guide paid for by the visiting group out of the visiting TRF group's local funds, and something we are looking to emulate in Herts.

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:11 pm 
80 cc

Totally agree with you mario. Some of the lanes in wales can catch you out. Iv watched videos on YouTube of some lands but they are nothing like that when you get there. Local knowledge is the key.
I'm planning on returning again this year luckily i got a few phone numbers from last time.
Marianne has great knowledge and a great ride leader.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:42 am 
80 cc

Thanks for all your responses.

I seem to have raised a delicate topic.

I would like to add that I have done a lot of work in locating some existing routes after many nights on the net. Most of them are on viewranger and I have even paid for the OS maps to see what are actual lanes. I don't want to pick up a route which may be created by someone which prefers more road than dirt.

What I like to, especially as I am driving 4hrs each way, is to look up the route on Google Earth. This gives a great overview of the route and terrain to ensure I don't come across a river I'm likely not to cross.

The only problem is I need a GPX file to import. Viewranger does not seem to allow this if someone has shared it and Viewranger is not great to use on a bike as a "Sat Nav". You can load the maps into Google Maps which is great to use compared to viewranger.

I have attached the two routes I have found a like. If is ask nicely can someone have a quick look and see if it can be improved? Obviously I wish to do least road miles as possible.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1csi77fgpczajwe/Rhayader.gpx?dl=0

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:25 am 
400 cc

Palmer
Memory map or garmins basecamp on your pc and a garmin montana on your handlebars and you will be sorted.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:36 pm 
200 cc

palmermj0 wrote:

I would like to add that I have done a lot of work in locating some existing routes after many nights on the net. Most of them are on viewranger and I have even paid for the OS maps to see what are actual lanes. I don't want to pick up a route which may be created by someone which prefers more road than dirt.

What I like to, especially as I am driving 4hrs each way, is to look up the route on Google Earth. This gives a great overview of the route and terrain to ensure I don't come across a river I'm likely not to cross.

The only problem is I need a GPX file to import. Viewranger does not seem to allow this if someone has shared it and Viewranger is not great to use on a bike as a "Sat Nav". You can load the maps into Google Maps which is great to use compared to viewranger.

I have attached the two routes I have found a like. If is ask nicely can someone have a quick look and see if it can be improved? Obviously I wish to do least road miles as possible.

Thanks again

I've had a quick look at the both routes.
Monks Trod has a TRO on it and should therefore be out of bounds.
There are also several other tracks, that to my knowledge do not have vehicle rights. The road across the Sennybridge firing rage is certainly closed at times and would need to be checked out.
We would all rather not ride on tarmac but it does not mean that we can ride on any track we like.
Strata Florida is a long track surrounded by tarmac. My feeling is to just suck it up, being tarmac it is soon covered.
Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:15 pm 
300 cc

palmermj0 wrote:

Thanks again

Try bikehike.co.uk Their viewer is set up with OS and Google in screens side by side which you can toggle and you can import/export to GPX. Only allows one route to be displayed at a time though. Free site so is subject to the OS usage cap now and again.
Which is a bit rich considering OS was originally funded from taxation.......but it is a great little site for what we do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:23 am 
80 cc

DS650 wrote:
palmermj0 wrote:

Thanks again

Try bikehike.co.uk Their viewer is set up with OS and Google in screens side by side which you can toggle and you can import/export to GPX. Only allows one route to be displayed at a time though. Free site so is subject to the OS usage cap now and again.
Which is a bit rich considering OS was originally funded from taxation.......but it is a great little site for what we do.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a great site. It enables you to build a route really easily.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:04 am 
300 cc

But it won't tell you if the lanes on the route you plan are legal or open.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next