TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Member - Wales / Strata Florida ride
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:01 pm 
80 cc

I am still having trouble locating a map/gpx of a good route in south wales. Most of the routes I find online are 60% road.

I'm looking for a local expert who can help.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:42 am 
300 cc

Ohhhh FFS, :twisted:
TRF have really got to sort out their group comms, what is the point of this so-called TRF forum if half of it dunna work. :?: It is pretty much a laughing stock at our group meeting and only encouraging moves to other forums (like face bark etc) that are unregulated by the TRF and do actually work....
That said, I do use here 'cos no batphone signal at home and resolutely trying to remain 'analogue' and use a phone for actually talking to people. :)
I know we am run by volunteers but surely group wide comms should be the second priority after the ROR conservation works and not as it seems, way down the list.
But has never been the TRF stong suit from when I joined back in the day, so why am I hoping?
All I can think is that our opponents must be laughing all the way as we struggle to present a unified, coherent opposition to the access Nazis, I know I did a while ago when the RA went through modernisation stages..but look where they am now....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:11 pm 
400 cc

A few of us from Herts were shown round the green lanes last September by the local TRF guys. All of my communication with them was via Facebook.

We did Strata and the forrest area over 2 days. great bunch of lads. We started our days from LLanerchindra B n B. I prefer to have the locals lead me round, as they know fuel, refreshment breaks and if the route needs to change, they can get you round.

If you do Facebook, send me a pm, and I will send you over the details.

Hope that helps?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:59 pm 
650 cc Monster

palmermj0 wrote:
The Welsh trf forum is down too. Is it closed for good?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Try here

http://www.swtrf.org.uk/index.php?board=3.0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:22 pm 
300 cc

The lack of response is nothing really to do with the trf directors or the forum or any method of communication.

If members don't respond that's down to the members not the methods used. Most members don't share their routes for obvious reasons. We all have access to trailwise so getting a rough idea of where to go isn't that difficult. I know it's a bit out of date but the orpas and byways are marked. Any other lanes can be considered off limits. Any your unsure of can be researched further.

Personally I think that members should do some of the work themselves rather than everyone expecting to be spoon fed routes off the back of others hard work.

Or Pay a guide, you may get access to private tracks and trails not normally open to all. Also local knowledge goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:58 pm 
300 cc

smokinrider wrote:
The lack of response is nothing really to do with the trf directors or the forum or any method of communication.

If members don't respond that's down to the members not the methods used. Most members don't share their routes for obvious reasons. We all have access to trailwise so getting a rough idea of where to go isn't that difficult. I know it's a bit out of date but the orpas and byways are marked. Any other lanes can be considered off limits. Any your unsure of can be researched further.

Personally I think that members should do some of the work themselves rather than everyone expecting to be spoon fed routes off the back of others hard work.

Or Pay a guide, you may get access to private tracks and trails not normally open to all. Also local knowledge goes a long way.

Agree mostly with above but recently there is no one single point of contact for regional groups....forum, facebark, watsapp etc etc..the will to sort that has to come from the directors of our company.
Members aren't responding because they have lost confidence in the forum and also modern (younger) digital natives expect to be confronted with an easy to upload to facebark type interface.....
But my overall opinion is that the ease of sharing will kill the hobby despite all of our hard work on route conservation and that is why we are all a little protective of our own patches and routes.
The ability to research a route and understand map markings should act as a selection filter for members but I'm guessing that all most of us want to do is ride and not be continually looking over our should for the hivis PC...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:20 pm 
300 cc

Too true, if all a member has to do is pay their £45 log on to what ever and down load a route, then soon there will be no one but the old school attending meetings and doing all the work.

I hate sharing routes. Certain loops get overused. Shared with non members, abused by others and the lanes not on a specific route get ignored and neglected.

I am however in favour of everyone knowing how to plan their own routes and providing them with a decent reliable source to obtain the correct info, and in my opinion, trailwise isn't up to the task as it's too out of date.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:40 am 
300 cc

smokinrider wrote:
I am however in favour of everyone knowing how to plan their own routes and providing them with a decent reliable source to obtain the correct info, and in my opinion, trailwise isn't up to the task as it's too out of date.

Updated TRF forum, anybody???
£45 to get a proved route..seems a fair price, wot about areas making a nominal charge per route distributed to discourage scrotes at least initially, before they get published on the internet by the purchaser for all and sundry...
Problem is the routes are menat to be for all and sundry 'cos they are all in the public domain.
Just that under the 'all' category there are several (so it seems) selfish feckers...

Post subject: New Member - Wales / Strata Florida ride
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:01 am 
300 cc

£45 gets you membership to the trf.

Routes are shared by those who've done their work to those they wish to share them with. There's no god given right that those who do all the work should give all the info away to others.

All the routes and info are out there in the public domain, it just takes a bit of effort on the part of the individual to look them up. In light of the fact you're all happy to pay £50 a day for a guide abroad or in Wales or the Isle of Man, why do you expect to have all the uks lanes given to you for £45?

Also bear in mind that a hell of a lot of members in the past have joined for a year, marked to their maps with trf obtained research, don't renew and then pass all that info to non members and others.

The rights of way info is one of the few things that the trf groups have to encourage members, hence why they are cautious of sharing it with unknown people. Nothing selfish, just common sense.

Do you really think that I've personally spent weeks/months of MY own free time researching, marking up and cataloging the whole of the south and midlands of England and am going to just give all that work away to all and sundry to use, abuse and share? No way matey.
I'll share it with who I choose, who I trust and as and when I choose. If that make me a selfish fecker, tough 5hit!

On a separate note, as such a small percentage of members visit here, it really ain't surprising that this thread hasn't offered up the info the OP requested.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:38 am 
300 cc

Not saying the non-sharing of routes is selfish, am saying that the unauthorised sharing of routes with yer mates who don't join up and hooning around like an eejit with no regard for surface condition/location is incredibly selfish and disrespectful to those who have done al the hard work/research in the first place, like ye and me.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next