TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: DRZ oil drain
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:30 am 
300 cc

The clutch cover is the circular one not the whole RH side cover. Here is a picture of a blingy after market billet job which highlights it nicely

Drop the brake leaver out the way, 6 bolts and pop the cover off. It uses an o-ring seal so no paper gasket to replace. Stood upright the bike will spew oil over the floor with this cover off (don't ask how I konw this :oops: ).

No coolant drain is required, this cover just exposes the clutch for servicing the clutch pack, pressure plate and springs. 15 minute job

Attachment:
33070223-M.jpg
33070223-M.jpg [ 160.76 KiB | Viewed 5238 times ]

There is also the a drain screw in the cover highlighted in the above, and the non return valve bolt next to it, I am not sure if these will get oil out of the sump though. But worth a try before your remove the cover.

When you refill there is a bleed screw in the cylinder near the timing chain tensioner to bleed air our and ensure oils getting up to the cams. they run in the aluminium head so if they run dry and score up the journals it will cost you a new head. As you going for broke on getting all the oil out I would advise you ensure you bleed this line on first start up.

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:25 pm 
80 cc

akendall1966 - many thanks for this spot-on info and image - I now understand.
I will do this at the weekend including the bleed and let you know how it goes.
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:42 pm 
300 cc

If you do remove the non return valve bolt (the one pointing up at a slight angle) there is a spring and ball up there which will try and escape given half a chance.

The drain screw is the one with the posi / cross head drive as well as being a hex head.

Good luck....
AK

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:24 pm 
80 cc

Thanks - That could save me a lot of crawling around on the floor.

The function of the oil check bolt you mention seems to be a bit indistinct on the internet ( Thumper talk etc.)
Some say its there to check that there is oil in the engine if the bike needs to be started after a long time at rest.
Others say its there to check for oil feed to the upper engine. Maybe both.
Anyhow as you say it would be comforting to see if oil emerges from here when the engine is turned over.

R

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:59 pm 
300 cc

The oil pump is a gerotor type gear pump so there are no valves in it. Once the engine stops, pressure decays, and gravity takes over. That valve would stop all the oil in the filter housing and galleries draining back to the sump. Without it it would take some time for the oil to be pumped back up fill all the oil galleries and build pressure in the oil films that the bearings ride on.

Quicker full oil flow and pressure is established less chance for wear on start up.

I guess non-return-valve would be a more familiar description to us Brits, check valve being more american.

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2