TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newbie bike choice question.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:23 am 
80 cc

I am new to greenlaning, been roped in by a friend so need to get myself a bike. I have narrowed it down to the following two bikes which are available locally. If anyone has any opinions on which might be the better bike, it would be very very much appreciated. I am an experienced road rider, riding for 15 years and currently ride an R1. Because I wanna go greenlaning obviously Im looking for a road regsietered bike.

The two bikes I am looking at are:

2012 KTM EXC 300 in reasonably nice condition.

2017 Beta 300 RR enduro.

Which would you go for and why?

Thank guys :D

Post subject: Re: Newbie bike choice question.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:12 am 
80 cc

It depends on their condition, assuming neither bike has been raced and both are the same price (?) I'd go for the Beta purely because its newer and I assume has had less use.

Even if the exc is like new as soon as you've used either bike on a few ride outs down muddy lanes they are are both going to look second hand, so the resale value of a 5 year younger bike has got to be greater. I'm assuming you haven't made a typo with their ages.

Remember they are two strokes so will need more maintenance but are easier to work on than a four stroke. Mind you some modern four strokes are highly strung also.

As you are a newbie I wouldn't go for either I'd go for the Beta Xtrainer. Similar to the 300rr but slightly smaller. You will be thankful for that however tall you are in your early months and beyond and won't be intimidated by trying to manhandle a full on enduro bike along the trails. The majority of trails have ruts or cambers and not being able to put your foot down properly fast gets lots of newbies and competent riders into trouble. The Xtrainer's slightly smaller size will help here. The 300rr and EXC are fine if you intend doing enduros but will be harder to initially master.

The Xtrainer has electric start and auto two stroke oil mixing. Both ideal for trail riding. The 300rr has a kick start back up the Xtrainer does not as standard but can be added.

Also if you're serious about trail riding why limit year search to your local area? You could hire or borrow a van or trailer to pick up a bike further away and widen your search. Think also how you might want to get your new purchase to the trails if they are further away. Both bikes you mention are not going to be happy doing lots of road miles. They'll be fine for linking the trails though.

I don't have a vested interest in either make or model just have 38 yrs of trials and 6 months of trail riding experience. So I've just gone through the early part of the trail riding learning curve. I'm 6'1' have a Husky 310 that is about the same size as the two bikes you mention. I was surprised how intimidating the Husky (read any 'Enduro' bike) was when I was riding my first tricky lanes. Lanes that on a much smaller trials bike I wouldn't have even thought twice about. Don't let the bike boss you. Boss the bike and get it to do the work....but it'll take a while for you to feel confident to do that.

What bike has your friend got? Have you ridden that in the mud? Riding it on the road won't tell you what you need to know about these types of bike. Probably a good place to start. Apologies if all this is nothing new to you, just that I've seen a few newbies on the lanes and was one recently myself.

Don't forget your kit you'll need dedicated riding gear for the trails. You will fall off and you need to get up in one piece!

Practice practice practice....and stick at it and you'll love it.

Just my twopennyworth of opinion. Others may differ. Hope that helps.

Post subject: Re: Newbie bike choice question.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:20 am 
80 cc

Teabag_Terry wrote:
I am new to greenlaning, been roped in by a friend so need to get myself a bike. I have narrowed it down to the following two bikes which are available locally. If anyone has any opinions on which might be the better bike, it would be very very much appreciated. I am an experienced road rider, riding for 15 years and currently ride an R1. Because I wanna go greenlaning obviously Im looking for a road regsietered bike.

The two bikes I am looking at are:

2012 KTM EXC 300 in reasonably nice condition.

2017 Beta 300 RR enduro.

Which would you go for and why?

Thank guys :D

Both bikes will be quick - really quick!

If your choice is limited to just these two, then the quick answer is the Beta.

KTM of that vintage will have a dicky starter and more peaky engine - yes, you can alter power valve springs etc but the Beta with it's allen screw in/out to adjust the power will be simpler and more immediately tuneable on the trail and as a newbie you'll be thankful for that. Other than that the are both cracking bikes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]